Clean Install + Time Machine = ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Illusion986, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Illusion986 macrumors 6502

Illusion986

I have done some searching but could not find a straight answer so I'm asking here. :)
    My iMac has been acting up a bit and i was panning on doing a clean reinstall of snow leopard. But i was wondering would restoring from time machine after make the whole clean install pointless?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are going to do a clean install, don't restore from the TM backup... use Migration Assistant to pull your data over

3. Illusion986 thread starter macrumors 6502

Illusion986

I havent used Migration Assistant before so not really familiar how it works compared to time machine restore but its nothing little research cant fix. Thanx for pointing me to its direction.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Its very simple. Its in utilities. I would use migration assistant to transfer your apps only. After that, I would manually bring over select items from your home folder through Time machine. This should help you avoid bringing old crap over that may have been causing the problem.

5. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Exactly.
    What would be the point of doing a clean install if you're going to copy the exact image that you've had before - settings, profiles and everything else gets copied exactly over, so you'll end up with the same problems if you where hoping to resolve any.

6. Illusion986 thread starter macrumors 6502

Illusion986

It sounds like a lot of work as i have horrendous amount of stuff to copy and change setting all over again to, but looks like there is no other way...
    Thanx for everyones input it definitely helped me out