Clean Install Time, What about my registered software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by poppe, Jan 14, 2009.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hey guys,

So my MBP is running like extremely slow and I am having problems up and the OS. I am going to take my computer into Apple, but the times I have taken my computer in before, they have suggested I do a clean install before they help me. So I have decided to do a clean install and see if that will help. If not I'll take it in, and hopefully Apple won't be able to deny me support.

I do have a question though. I have a lot of software that has been registered with activation codes and what not, and I am wondering how I can do an erase and install and still get that software back.

Just to list my system:

MBP C2D (Second version since intel)
    2 GB ram
    160 GB Hard Drive

Software worried about:

Final Cut Studio
    Final Draft
    Photoshop
    Illustrator
    After Effecrts
    Toast
    Office 08

There are many more, but those are examples. Any help or thoughts.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Why not do an archive and install (with the installer set to preserve users and network settings)? It'll keep all your registrations intact.

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

What exactly is the difference I guess I should ask? I also want to start fresh. I have a lot of programs that run in the background or aren't in the applications file. I did a lot of customizing as well (blindness and ignorant to OS X customizing) so I'm not sure all the underworking stuff I changed. I would just like to fix all that. Would the archive leave all of that out?

4. filman408 macrumors regular

Just reinstall the software from the disks. Deactivate before reformat, areactivate after install.

This is unless they were downloaded... ;)

Its better that way (to reinstall). If it is still slow without any additional apps, then the genius' will have less to talk about. Make sure you always keep at least 10% free, 20% best.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That depends what you've done.

Before you reinstall, try creating a new user account. If the problems don't follow you there, you can just move your files over and delete the old one.

If you're going to take it in to the shop, clone the boot partition onto another drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. Format the main drive and do a fresh install of OS X, then take it in. Once you get it back, you can just clone your stuff back on there and you don't have to worry about data loss or the techs getting into stuff they shouldn't.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

What's the difference between carbon copy and my time machine one?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Carbon Copy creates an exact bootable copy of your drive. Time Machine just backs up your files, so you'd need to do a reinstall in order to get everything back the way it was.

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

What do you mean deactivate. Sadly I am not the best with computers yet so downloading is too difficult for me.

Thanks for the advice. ill probably do this