Clean Install vs. Image restore on new Intel 320 SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kdoug, May 5, 2011.

1. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I just installed a new 160 GB Intel 320 in my early 2011 MBP i5. It replaced a Kingston V+. There weren't any problems with the Kingston I just need more room and wanted something a little faster. Everything went well except the Xbench score is almost identical to the V+. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have done a clean install vs restoring the Image from CCC. Can anybody verify or comment on why this might be?

2. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Unless your existing image is damaged or corrupted I don't believe your going to see any real benefits to a "clean" install. Use Carbon Copy or Time Machine and it will save you a huge amount of time and headache.

3. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

use the image if it is working properly. 5 minutes for image vs. 2-3 hours via clean install and software installs/updates.

making an image a couple times a year (overnight) prevents headaches should your drive die or something similar)

4. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

in my experience...

a clean install typically will run better. it doesn't bring all of the junk and preferences along with it.

however, a time machine or cloning of the original hard drive is typically much easier and more convenient.