clean install vs upgrade

doobi18

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2006
Sydney, Australia
hey there everyone. i really need advice. i have read tons of other threads suggesting which way to go where everyone says different things.

my situation is as follows;

* MacBook with 2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM & 120GB HDD

* i have mucked around with cocktail, iceclean, better finder attributes, ifreemem and the such

* i have a ton of add-ons, including application enhancer with instant hijack, unifier & smart scroll, divx & flip4mac codecs, growl, sizzlingkeys, srs iwow,

* my apps (about 80 that i use) folder totals out at 12gb, the vast majority of which is taken from the internet (not CD/DVD) therefore would be very undesirable to have to get again

* i am somewhat compulsive in that my preferences for every app & system facet are tuned exactly to my liking

* i have a ton of docs & data that i definately need to keep, including ical, etc

* i have 30gb of music & 30gb of movies which i want to keep

* i have a big lacie external HDD if needed

unsure whether to clean install or upgrade, although it may seem nice to start a fresh, i am thinking that would only create a lot of unnecessary work for myself.

please feel free to express your thoughts on the matter

cheers

doobs

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
I upgraded two machines, no issues, however I have also done archive and installs in the past and they have been good too.

I heard APE screws up Leopard booting and stuff, I don't have it myself but heard it was bad for Leopard, be careful with that if you upgrade, you could face issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.