clean install vs upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doobi18, Nov 4, 2007.

1. doobi18 macrumors 6502

hey there everyone. i really need advice. i have read tons of other threads suggesting which way to go where everyone says different things.

my situation is as follows;

* MacBook with 2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM & 120GB HDD

* i have mucked around with cocktail, iceclean, better finder attributes, ifreemem and the such

* i have a ton of add-ons, including application enhancer with instant hijack, unifier & smart scroll, divx & flip4mac codecs, growl, sizzlingkeys, srs iwow,

* my apps (about 80 that i use) folder totals out at 12gb, the vast majority of which is taken from the internet (not CD/DVD) therefore would be very undesirable to have to get again

* i am somewhat compulsive in that my preferences for every app & system facet are tuned exactly to my liking

* i have a ton of docs & data that i definately need to keep, including ical, etc

* i have 30gb of music & 30gb of movies which i want to keep

* i have a big lacie external HDD if needed

unsure whether to clean install or upgrade, although it may seem nice to start a fresh, i am thinking that would only create a lot of unnecessary work for myself.

please feel free to express your thoughts on the matter

cheers

doobs

2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i always like to do a fresh install. makes me feel like i got a new computer

3. amrk47 macrumors regular

4. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I upgraded two machines, no issues, however I have also done archive and installs in the past and they have been good too.

I heard APE screws up Leopard booting and stuff, I don't have it myself but heard it was bad for Leopard, be careful with that if you upgrade, you could face issues.

5. doobi18 thread starter macrumors 6502

APE? que? something i need to worry about?

also thanx for responses & keep posting!

cheers