Clean Install w/ Time Machine backup - is there a point?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ryanlaing, Jan 3, 2010.

1. ryanlaing macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I've been thinking about doing a clean install on my mac pro, with hopes the entire computer would run 'good as new.' It's not running bad now, but its been a few years, upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5 to 10.6.. maybe its just a little more sluggish than it used to be. I do have everything backed up on time machine..

So what I'm wondering is, If i reinstall OSX, and then restore everything from Time Machine (with migration assistant,) does that put me right back to EXACTLY how my computer runs now? (does it restore anything that could be slowing down my system?) Or does this still clean up misc system files, where potentially everything will run smoother? Does it take a fresh install, manually installing all programs, and then manually transferring my files back over to really see any real performance benefits?

Thanks in advance

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course, a full restore of TM will restore any files that may have caused you problems.

What I would recommend is a clean install and then re-install your applications. Then use Time Machine to restore your data.

3. btownguy macrumors 6502

After you've done your clean install and reinstalled your applications, is there an option that clearly restores user data? Or do you have to go in and selectively choose what files to restore?

Also, once you have restored this data, should you reformat your Time Machine drive and start Time Machine over?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You have to selectively choose what files and folders you wish to restore, i.e., ~/Documents or ~/Sites