Clean Install with Snow Leopard disk SIMPLE QUESTION

Discussion in 'macOS' started by okrelayer, Aug 26, 2009.

1. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Guys, i have looked all over, and i cant find a simple way to clean install with the SL disk. The screen shots i've seen on engadget shows just "update".

I currently have leopard installed, and time machined everything. I just wanna clean install snow leopard, then navigate into my time machine folder via finder and manually bring over a few files.

When i get the SL disk, what would be my best course of action?

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

the EASIEST is to migrate from a time machine backup after you finish installing SL.

you basically answered your own question though.

drag and drop is what i plan to do

3. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes. Install snow leopard like it would be on a newly bought machine. and drag and drop a few of my files over

I don't want to migrate from my time machine backup, as it will bring a lot of stuff i don't want with it. I just dont' see anywhere in the SL install process any thing that says "erase and install"

4. cmaier macrumors G3

check disk utility

5. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

so put in the snow leopard disk, open disk utility, and under the snow leopard dvd there should be "erase and install snow leopard"

6. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

i heard two different ideas of erase and install

1 person said you have to manually erase the disk before installing.

another said the option is in disk utility.

im keeping two partitions on my TM drive. one for SL and one for leopard until im sure i didnt forget anything i want on SL

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I wouldn't erase the disk before popping in the SL disc as it's an upgrade disc; if it doesn't detect Leopard it won't install.

8. okrelayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats why i am making sure. Just looking for the easiest option. worse comes to worse i'll put in my leopard disk, and clean restore it, then update snow leopard right after

so what would you guys say is the easiest and best option for this? A simple fresh install of Snow Leopard.

9. cmaier macrumors G3

Supposedly it doesn't check for leopard. Honor system.

10. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Huh, I thought it actually did. Still, probably best to just do what they want (go through disc utility then install). Then you can complain when things go horribly wrong :p.