Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I am about to wipe my HD and do a clean install ready for Lion.

Just want to clarify

Back up to HD via CCC.

Turn mac off - reboot holding down the alt key with the SL cd inserted.

Use disk utility to wipe the disk in my mac .. instal from SL CD.

Once thats all done .. which folders do i need to copy from the CCC backup.

I obviously want all my files back and my apps ..

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've got a 1TB Western Digital external USB drive, and what I've done is basically install Snow Leopard on a partition on there, and back up all the files from my main system on the other partition.

That way, I can simply boot into the external partition, open Disk Utility, format Macintosh HD, then run the Lion installer from Snow Leopard on the external drive, pointing the installer to the now blank Macintosh HD.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I am about to wipe my HD and do a clean install ready for Lion.

Just want to clarify

Back up to HD via CCC.

Turn mac off - reboot holding down the alt key with the SL cd inserted.

Use disk utility to wipe the disk in my mac .. instal from SL CD.

Once thats all done .. which folders do i need to copy from the CCC backup.

I obviously want all my files back and my apps ..

why go to all this trouble in doing a clean SL install and then *still* upgrade to lion. if you are going to do a clean install why not just do a clean install of lion instead.

otherwise it is clean install SL 10.6.x upgrade to 10.6.8 buy lion upgrade to 10.7 instead of starting fresh with lion and no SL remnants.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
because you need SL to install Lion .. you can't just instal lion .. it has to be done over the top of SL

xpower180

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
UK/Dubai
why go to all this trouble in doing a clean SL install and then *still* upgrade to lion. if you are going to do a clean install why not just do a clean install of lion instead.

otherwise it is clean install SL 10.6.x upgrade to 10.6.8 buy lion upgrade to 10.7 instead of starting fresh with lion and no SL remnants.

I understand how that's done with a GM image, but will a truly 'clean' install of Lion be possible using the retail (app store) version?

Cheers, Jay.
Sent from my iPad 2

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
because you need SL to install Lion .. you can't just instal lion .. it has to be done over the top of SL

It doesn't need to be installed over the top of Snow Leopard.

You need to boot the installer from Snow Leopard, but once in the installer you can select which available drive to install onto, which is why my external drive running Snow Leopard is ideal.

Tried and tested with the GM too.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010

errrr no it doesn't. it just needs SL to purchase and download it. *not* to install it. i did a clean DVD install myself, no problems whatsoever nor any remnants of SL on my system.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I understand how that's done with a GM image, but will a truly 'clean' install of Lion be possible using the retail (app store) version?

Cheers, Jay.
Sent from my iPad 2

The retail image will work exactly the same as the GM one, it's a file ... nothing will change other than the fact your App Store downloaded copy will be digitally signed to you.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
It doesn't need to be installed over the top of Snow Leopard.

You need to boot the installer from Snow Leopard, but once in the installer you can select which available drive to install onto, which is why my external drive running Snow Leopard is ideal.

Tried and tested with the GM too.

you don't even need to do that. just burning the image in the .app to a dvd and booting form it will get you a clean install. nothing illegal about it either.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Right - so let me get this right ..

when Lion is released .. download it and save it to an external HD on a separate partition to the CCC.

Boot up MBP - disk utility to wipe the HD and then clean install Lion?

EIther way - which folders from the CCC do i need?

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Right - so let me get this right ..

when Lion is released .. download it and save it to an external HD on a separate partition to the CCC.

Boot up MBP - disk utility to wipe the HD and then clean install Lion?

EIther way - which folders from the CCC do i need?

that would work, although i personally think the dvd option is easier. as far as the backup goes you're on your own, i keep all my stuff in the cloud and won't be restoring anything.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
When Lion is released, buy it on the app store and the installer will download and be placed on your dock. BACK UP THE INSTALLER FILE before anything else. In other words, when you run the installer (as in if you were doing the upgrade from SL to Lion, the installer will install Lion but then at the end delete itself (the installer app is no longer on your system when you do the upgrade.

To do a clean install, use SL to buy and download the Lion app installer but don't run it, just follow the instructions here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/08/create-burn-bootable-mac-os-x-lion-install-disc/ to create a DVD to do a clean Lion install.

fredsarran

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2008
When Lion is released, buy it on the app store and the installer will download and be placed on your dock. BACK UP THE INSTALLER FILE before anything else. In other words, when you run the installer (as in if you were doing the upgrade from SL to Lion, the installer will install Lion but then at the end delete itself (the installer app is no longer on your system when you do the upgrade.

To do a clean install, use SL to buy and download the Lion app installer but don't run it, just follow the instructions here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/08/create-burn-bootable-mac-os-x-lion-install-disc/ to create a DVD to do a clean Lion install.

Instead of making a Lion bootable disc, is it possible to make a USB stick/key bootable ? Possible to be detected and select it at the boot screen of the Mac ?

UPDATE : OK don't bother, I found this link that resolve my questions :)
http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.