clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daviddsims, Dec 6, 2009.

1. daviddsims macrumors newbie

Guys I just bought a MBP yesterday at best buy and transfered all my old files from my other macbook over to it. I am going to give the old macbook to the wife and wanted to give her my old macbook but with a clean install. I do not have the original disk with the old macbook but I did update to snow leopard on it. The disc are back 2500 miles away. I put the new MBP disc in but it said it cannot install. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The gray restore DVDs that come with every Mac are machine specific, so you can't use them on any other Mac than the one it came with and all the ones that are the same. MBP from 2007 is not the same as an MBP from 2008 or even 2009 or 2006.

Snow Leopard costs 25€, so you might have to take that route if you wanna do a clean install now.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't know if this is possible or doable, but it's might work...

Does the MacBook have Firewire? If so use a Firewire cable to connect the MacBook to the MacBook Pro and boot the MacBook into Firewire Target Disk Mode. Then use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to make a bootable clone of the MacBook Pro (excluding your user files) over to the MacBook.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you have already brought a license for Snow Leopard then you could 'obtain' a copy from anywhere (friend or torrent etc) as you will only be using one license, which like I said you have already purchases.

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Or, for now, just make her a new user account and delete yours. Then when you're ready to do the clean install, simply back her account up to your MBP using migration assistant, do the clean install, and migrate the account back again using migration assistant.