Clean installing Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jakintosh™, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Jakintosh™, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

Jakintosh™ macrumors member

So, I have a Macbook here that was just wiped clean. I also have an installation disc (a physical DVD) that I created that I'm trying to install from. I booted from the disc, wiped the drive and verified all the permissions and such, and I'm now trying to install a fresh copy of lion on my machine (which I bought myself from the appstore.) However, it wants me to connect to the internet, sign into the appstore and download something that will take upwards of 6 hours which I assume is the operating system. Why is it doing that if I have the OS on the disc already? Is there anyway to just install from the disc? Am I missing something?

EDIT: The download bar hasn't even moved in the last 30 minutes. There has got to be a way to do this offline.

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've done clean Lion installs several times, both from DVD and from USB stick.

My guess is that the DVD you created wasn't created properly -- thus the installation turns to the download.

I'm pretty sure I used these instructions:

http://www.macworld.com/article/161069/2011/07/make_a_bootable_lion_installer.html

but they can't be the only ones out there.

Can you create a new DVD? I'd try that, if it's possible.

3. Jakintosh™ thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I'll try that. Will it still want to get on the internet to install once I do that?

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

No. It will say something about "downloading updates" but it won't do it.

If you can make a USB stick, I'd try that. It's much faster.

The thing to remember is that you have to make the DVD or USB device BEFORE the installation proceeds on the machine that originally downloaded the Lion installation kit from Apple. If the machine's already running Lion, there's nothing there you can use -- it's erased during the installation.

5. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I think it still needs internet to confirm if you have legal rights to it. but I could be wrong.