Clean Installs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, Sep 22, 2010.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I read on another forum that some people seem to do a clean install of Mac OS on their machines every year or so, whether they need it or not. I'd never heard of this before and thought that I'd ask here to see if this is common practice?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Pointless, IMO. Clean installs are only needed if you're having major problems.

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

It's a nice preventative measure, but kind of a pain in the neck. I'd rather fix problems as they come along.

Personal preference.

4. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

That right there should tell you there is no logic behind it.

5. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

I know there's no logic behind it, I was just throwing the question out to get some opinions.

6. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

That's fine, but it's not really a matter of opinion. There is no need to do a clean install of any OS simply because of the elapsed time since it was last performed.

If you're having severe issues, it may come to that in rare and unfortunate situations. If you're not, don't fix what isn't broken.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OSX is not like windows that you need to reinstall it over and over.

The only times I've reloaded OSX is when I'm replacing the drive or upgrading to a new version or bought a new mac and want to install the OS to my specifications not to what apple thinks I should have

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you have no issues, then there is no point. It may be worth it if you have a lot apps and other crap installed and you want to get rid of them. The real way of doing a clean install is to start from a scratch, just transfer your data and then download and reinstall all apps you need, and only the ones you need. If you use TM backup, then it's nearly useless procedure as you would transfer all the crap back