Clean iOS Install but Want to Keep Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ShivneelSingh, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ShivneelSingh macrumors member

Hi, I tried looking through the forum but had no luck. I wanted to do a clean install of iOS 4.3.4 but wanted to keep my photos still in the camera roll.
    The phone has been slowing down so Apple told me to do a clean install but I would still like to keep all my photos and some of the data that's in my apps such as AppBox and game data. Is this possible?

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

Do you have iPhoto? If you don't, just use Image Capture and import your photos into your computer.

3. ShivneelSingh thread starter macrumors member

Okay. But will I be able to put all the photos back into the Camera Roll?
    And what about the data in my apps and games? How do I put the data back after the clean install?

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If you want a clean install, then no you can not put back the photos into the Camera Roll and your app data will be lost.

If you want to restore from a back-up, then this is not a clean install and if your restoring your phone because of issues with the OS, then restoring from a backup will just bring back the same issues.

5. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

6. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

Apple really need to look into someway of doing this, as i have asked the same question in the past. I am also sure a lot of people wonder the same thing.

can you not store your pics in icloud, do a clean install then copy the pictures from icloud to your device?

7. ShivneelSingh thread starter macrumors member

I think I might just have to wait for iOS 5 to come out so I can use the Photo Stream feature. OR I can e-mail all my photos to myself and then save them to the camera roll.
    But does the phone really work better after a clean install?

8. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

you can put your pictures back on your iphone just not in the camera roll. what you would have to do before you restore your iphone is download all pictures to either my pictures on PC or iphoto on Mac. then when you restore your iphone there is a tab and check mark which photos to put back on iphone they will not be in camera roll but you will see a new folder there with all pictures. then the only way to remove those pictures will be to resync your iphone and uncheck any photos you no longer want on your iphone.

9. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How is it a clean install if u want everything back?? Lol
    Stay on 4.3.3 . There is nothing new on 4.3.4..

10. ShivneelSingh thread starter macrumors member

It's laggy and slow, so I have to do a clean install but I definitely don't want to lose my pictures.

11. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Check out "Photo Transfer App" in the App Store :)

For £1.99 it does EXACTLY what you want. Use it to backup your photos before you restore, restore your device, redownload the app and sync back your photos/videos to your camera roll!

Easy as that, I have tested it before and works, definitely recommend it if you don't want to jailbreak it :)

"Phonecopy" is also another good (free) app which can be used to backup your contacts also, incase you/any else needed to know ;)

As for game data, I haven't found/heard of a way to retrieve your game data on a non-jailbroken device :( Why does the backup and restoring of data have to be some complicated, hopefully iCloud may help out, we'll see..

12. amazingdm macrumors 6502

Why all the suggestions for apps to do this??

Just plugin to computer, goto My Computer select iPhone select dcim folder then just copy to a folder on your computer. Then sync the folder in the photos tab in your iPhone device part on itunes

13. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Because he wants to photos stored in the Camera Roll.

14. amazingdm macrumors 6502

Why the heck would that be important?
    He can have them still in the photos app just a different folder. Less clutter