Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpmiller22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Hello all. I have a slightly older 17 MBP that upgraded to Lion a while back. I'm thinking about selling my MBP to get a new Macbook air, but would like to make sure I properly clean my MBP before I sell it. With a windows machine I would just do a reinstall of the OS, but I of course don't have a disc for Lion since it came through the app store. Is there an easy way to do this, or maybe even an easy way to just wipe my data of the mac without doing a reinstall?

Thanks!

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hello all. I have a slightly older 17 MBP that upgraded to Lion a while back. I'm thinking about selling my MBP to get a new Macbook air, but would like to make sure I properly clean my MBP before I sell it. With a windows machine I would just do a reinstall of the OS, but I of course don't have a disc for Lion since it came through the app store. Is there an easy way to do this, or maybe even an easy way to just wipe my data of the mac without doing a reinstall?

Thanks!

Get your Lion Installer and create a bootable USB stick from it. That will let you clean install.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-make-your-own-os-x-lion-bootable-usb-flash-drive-tutorial/

Or if you want to do it securely, remove the disk and do a multipass wipe from another machine. There are many software apps that do this.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
The license agreement says that you have to re-install the original OS if you sell your mac.

cpmiller22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.