Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haddman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Ok, so I want to sell an old Macbook Pro now that I have a new Macbook. My old one is running the latest version of Lion, so I thought I could put into recovery mode and reinstall a clean version of the OS to wipe all my data, but it still kept all my programs and data when it reloaded. How can I reload a clean install of Lion essentially reformatting the HD? Do I need to format the main HD and then boot into Lion's recovery mode? I can't do the USB/DVD option, because I no longer have the install Lion app. I guess my last resort would be to reinstall Snow Leopard and then reinstall Lion.

Never mind, figured it out:
To do a Clean Install after you're installed Lion:

1) Backup to Time Machine or Clone

2) Boot into Recovery (Hold ⌘R on boot)

3) Select Disk Utility

4) Highlight your Macintosh HD

5) Click Erase

6) Quit Disk Utiltiy

7) Select Reinstall OS X

8) When prompted, transfer data from a Time Machine or other disk

Last edited:

Sonhascome

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2010
Maryland
Ok, so I want to sell an old Macbook Pro now that I have a new Macbook. My old one is running the latest version of Lion, so I thought I could put into recovery mode and reinstall a clean version of the OS to wipe all my data, but it still kept all my programs and data when it reloaded. How can I reload a clean install of Lion essentially reformatting the HD? Do I need to format the main HD and then boot into Lion's recovery mode? I can't do the USB/DVD option, because I no longer have the install Lion app. I guess my last resort would be to reinstall Snow Leopard and then reinstall Lion.

Never mind, figured it out:
To do a Clean Install after you're installed Lion:

1) Backup to Time Machine or Clone

2) Boot into Recovery (Hold ⌘R on boot)

3) Select Disk Utility

4) Highlight your Macintosh HD

5) Click Erase

6) Quit Disk Utiltiy

7) Select Reinstall OS X

8) When prompted, transfer data from a Time Machine or other disk

it's always nice to find the answers to your questions yourself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.