Clean macbook pro 2016 keyboard with jetspray water

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sapibobo, Mar 5, 2017.

1. sapibobo macrumors newbie

sapibobo

Dear all,

i am sorry if it is have been discussed before. Is it safe to the finishing and oleophobic coating and whatever other layer of macbook pro 2016 keyboard if we use mineral water spray as a cleaner? The link is below :
    http://www.sephora.com/mineral-water-spray-P2043
    Since apple website explain nothing but only "water", i plan to use that in additional of microfiber cloth.

I used iklear to clean the keyboard, but it creates a slippery feeling to the keyboard which i dont like and it doesnt really remove the grease mark of the keycap.

Thank you

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Do not spray any water on your MacBook Pro that simple. Make the microfibres cloth very slightly damp and use that.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Spraying any liquid on your laptop, is a recipe for disaster. Moisten a cloth and clean it that way.

4. SDColorado, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I am not sure about the use of mineral water, since it contains dissolved salts and sulfates. If you are looking to use something other than tap water, distilled water would be a better bet, I would think.

Edit: realized I had originally said phosphates above, when I had meant to say sulfates.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Never ever use water to clean a Macbook keyboard. Water is the enemy of running electronics. However, if you are working on a circuit board (not on a Mac) and you have soldered some connection, I have seen a good technician wash the flux off of the circuit board and not cause any problem. But for a normal user, water is the enemy of electronics.

6. ljjycss macrumors member

ljjycss

I think that's special cleaner designed for PCB cleaning.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Thought I should note that missing a few key words can be important.
    From Apple's cleaning guide:
    (My bold on what I think are some key points. :D )
    I think that using a spray, even if it is plain water, would mean that it will easily get to areas where you don't want any excess moisture.
    I also think that cleaning the keycaps is a good place for that "damp, soft, lint-free cloth"
    "Damp" does not mean "wet" or "dripping"

8. jerryk macrumors 68030

Spraying water on your computer is a good way to kill the computer and void your warranty if you trip the moisture detectors.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Actually it was water - I was in the electronics lab with the tech while he repaired the board and washed it down. However, it was a small board and he had done it before. I wouldn't recommend using water unless you know what you are doing and definitely not on a full size motherboard like on a laptop.

10. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Sounds strange, I do believe you but when the water dries it's going to leave "stuff" left that's not good for the board.
    But hey, I don't know what the engineer was doing but I would not use that method.

11. jerryk macrumors 68030

Might have deionized and demineralized water.

12. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I wouldn't spray water on a computer...just do something safer lol

13. danniexi macrumors 6502

as everyone has said, spray water onto cloth, not directly on the computer. also if you can, use distilled water as well.

14. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If your keyboard is getting that dirty from usage, perhaps it's time to think about washing your hands before you use the computer!