Clean Macbook Pro without using the CD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hackster, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Hackster macrumors member

Hackster

Hi.
    Im currently buying a Macbook pro from late 2009. It has OS X 10.6.6, and the seller has lost the recovery CD. So, how do we get rid of all his private stuff without formatting? thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

As sim wrote, the only real way to guarantee that you've removed all traces of the prior user is to do a clean install, which includes re-formatting.

4. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

That i will do later on. But at the sellers place, we just need to delete his settings such as wireless keys and so on, so he is satisfied.

5. simsaladimbamba

Then do the "create new admin account, log out of the old admin account, log into the new admin account, delete old accounts" routine. Or bring the Upgrade DVD with you.

6. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

This seller doesn't sound like a very responsible seller.

7. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

You're the buyer. He is responsible for any data removal from his computer - if he doesn't do it, offer him less money.

8. Hackster thread starter macrumors member

Hackster

Thanks guys. He made me walk around 2 kilometers, to reach his apartment. When i arrived, i found the macbook not as described in the announcement and he made me wait 30 minutes so he could delete his crap. In the end he was like: I cant figure out how to remove everything, so i cant sell it to you.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

I don't know if I should laugh or what... not to be mean but that sounds like a very poor execution of a very simple transaction. Sorry to hear about your potential loss (I don't make sense do I?)

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Glad it worked out, sort of, but here's where you should have turned around saving yourself 30 more minutes.

For a used sale, if it isn't as described, just walk away. There's no good news that comes from these types of situations.