Clean Mountain Lion Install before First Boot on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FLOKER, Jul 13, 2012.

1. FLOKER macrumors newbie

Hello there,
    in some days I will get my MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2.3/8/256) and I assum it will come with Lion installed. As soon as Mountain Lion is out I would install it anyway, but I prefer to do clean installs.

My question is: Is it possible to install Mountain Lion before my First Boot, e.g. through Internet Recovery? If so, what would I have to do to go sure that the Internet Recovery really performs a clean install with the new Mountain Lion file?

Thanks in advance,
    Florian

2. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Well you can, theoretically, but in order to get your free upgrade to mountain lion you have to log in with your apple ID, and do some other stuff to register. I'd recommend just booting for the first time as you normally would when your MBPr arrives, and then just download your ML copy and select clean install when prompted. No hassle.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

You could build a bootable USB drive with the ML installer in place. Then hold option when booting. But in order to get that download, you need a mac to get the installer free on the App Store. So, if you have a recent Mac with Lion and a decently sized flash drive, that would work.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

5. FLOKER thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for your answers!
    Since it will be my first Mac I think I'm going for the MAS Download and Re-Install OSX option; it won't actually take much more time than if I'd be able to download straight away from the beginning.

Oh, and thanks for the link to the guide! ;)