Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amycishere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
So I've had my new macbook pro for a couple of weeks now and absolutely loving it. I want to keep it as clean as possible and found this app. What are Universal Binary files and do I need them? It says it can help free up space but they sound important? Also, language files, can they help translate languages for you or our they intended for people they know the languages and want their mac in a different language? Thank you. Amy

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Delete that app from your Mac and don't think about it again. All it does it cause problems. It's not worth the headache to free up a few gb.

The only thing you have to worry about keeping clean is your home directory, let OSX worry about everything else :)

Kuray

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
For me, It is best. Haven't seen any problem. Deletes language files.

And AppZapper was my favourite uninstaller app, also I paid for it.

But when I compare with CleanMyMac, CMM founds more files about app that wanted to be deleted.

Also best for caches. Founds all caches and deletes them

Useful for Safari, If you didn't disable Webpage Previews and Caches

Nov 28, 2010
located
As Apple switched to another CPU architecture in 2005/2006, applications had to be "rewritten" to work on both platforms (PPC and x86), thus a "Universal Binary" is an application able to run on PPC and x86 (Intel) Macs.
The languages are there to run Mac OS X in different languages.
You can use Monolingual to delete unwanted languages.
And keep away from CleanMyMac.

And AppZapper was my favourite uninstaller app, also I paid for it.

AppZapper does not find all files, Finder does a much better job at this.
Read the accompanying thread to the following post:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

amycishere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2007
Ok, thanks, deleted that App with AppCleaner. Sure glad I downloaded the free trial first and did not pay for it!

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
So I've had my new macbook pro for a couple of weeks now and absolutely loving it. I want to keep it as clean as possible and found this app. What are Universal Binary files and do I need them? It says it can help free up space but they sound important? Also, language files, can they help translate languages for you or our they intended for people they know the languages and want their mac in a different language? Thank you. Amy

The app is worthless. It deletes files that are supposed to be on your computer. For instance, caches. Aren't they meant to be there to make your computer faster? :eek:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The app is worthless. It deletes files that are supposed to be on your computer. For instance, caches. Aren't they meant to be there to make your computer faster? :eek:

Caches are easily rebuilt the next time they are needed. If you are on broadband internet, you don't really need to cache the data.'

However, the program can easily delete files that are required for your computer to run; you can easily wind up with an unbootable system.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
AppZapper, AppCleaner, CleanApp, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
AppZapper missed 13 items
AppCleaner missed 11 items
AppDelete missed 8 items
Hazel missed 9 items​
I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
You don't need "cleaner" apps to keep your Mac running efficiently. Mac OS X does a good job of maintaining itself, without the need for 3rd party apps. Some have successfully used apps like Monolingual to remove unwanted languages and architectures to free up drive space.

Be aware that extreme caution should be exercised when using such apps, as deleting certain languages or architectures can create significant problems. At best, deleting these things may buy you 1-2GB of drive space, but will not improve your system's performance. If you're not certain about what you're doing, don't delete anything. The small drive space savings are not worth the risk of potential problems.

Last edited:

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
stay away from any apps that claim to clean your system or delete an application, just delete the apps yourself with finder as posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.