Clean My Mac ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deejd1, Oct 5, 2010.

1. deejd1 macrumors newbie

I am a new Macbook pro user. An old Windows geek. I came across a program called "CLEAN MY MAC" looks good. Should I buy it? Has anyone used it ? any problems? Thanks for your help

Dee

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Awful software. Ruined my Mac OS install. Do not trust.

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I will never use this software again. A real pain to uninstall.

5. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

I myself use it for more than a year now and I can only say that it has saved me a ton of space. Also 2 of my friends have it... The program is awesome, I have never had any problems with it.
    As far as uninstalling "Clean My Mac" goes, it can uninstall itself with no hassle. Personally I recommend it... its awesome for truly uninstalling your programs (since moving apps in the trash can does not remove all files that came with the app).

I rarely pay money for apps, but this one was worth every cent.

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

No hassle but inefficiently as I saw traces of its activity in my console weeks after having uninstalled it...

7. KAJiHOLiC macrumors newbie

eekkkk def staying away from that software

8. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

well i use both this and onyx multiple times a week and it worked fine sp far, for me. it claims to have saved me over 5gb of data already after a few weeks of usage so far. don't know if it caused any problems so far.

9. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

Did you use build-in uninstaller?

10. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

11. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Yes I did... :(

12. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

I've been using CleanMyMac daily for 6 months on my Mac Pro, have never encountered a single problem. It's really useful for SSD owners when it comes to managing your storage. Ive saved 80+ GB of storage so far, according to CMM.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You really don't need any app to "clean" your mac and like the other posters stated. Stay away, far away from clean my mac. Truth be told, OSX does a great job managing itself, I've never noticed any improvement in performance when I was testing out some of these apps like onyx.

Just consider the risk vs. reward, what's the risk of some of these apps messing up your system for a possible tiny increase in performance.

14. henry72, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

15. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

i use onyx about once a month and the only reason is b/c its like a quick shortcut menu for something OSX can already do itself. i would recommend NOT getting clean my mac, especially if you have to pay for it. There really is no need. you should just check out this forums post on optimizing your performance.

16. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

this thread is from "Oct 2010".

What's your opinion now? Do you recommend "Clean my Mac"? If No, why exactly not?

Here (use Google Translate) you can get a free one year license.

17. Kafka macrumors 6502

18. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Yup, that's about what it's worth too - zero

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Best cleaner is a re-install from scratch, and FREE!

20. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

thanks for reviews. I run it without problems (one reboot since then)

----------

now reread the blog posting and think it's a paid advertisement :mad:

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While some of those threads started years ago, complaints about apps like these continue to this day, so I would still recommend avoiding them. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

No, it isn't. In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
    The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

22. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

I use Appcleaner to delete apps and it seems to get all the plugins, and files that the apps install. Pretty straight forward app too.

23. markus843 macrumors regular

I use ccleaner, it's good I guess. If I were you, I would stay away from that program. Honestly there is no need to clean your mac, it's not windows.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not effective in removing all app-related files. Read the latter part of my last post for details.