Clean or upgrade installation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boppin, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Clean or upgrade installation?

1. Upgrade installation

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Clean installation

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. boppin macrumors regular

Hello,

every time you install a new operating.

Do you perform a clean or upgrade installation?

2. thefriendshipmachine macrumors regular

I just did an upgrade on my brand new macbook from sierra to high sierra and now i get a black screen when i come out of sleep

so i would say fresh install is best. I am going to fresh install high sierra today actually to see if it fixes my bug.

3. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

for the past few OS upgrades ( since El Capitan) I have installed the new OS on a new separate SSD drive VIA USB cable and then swapped it out after making sure all my software was working with the new OS on the new drive before installing. Keeping the old OS as the working drive on the MacBook .

This keeps the new install separate as a test version until all is good and then (when ready) swapped out the old drive which becomes my "back up" and the MBP has a new fresh SSD with the new OS.

4. Mortis360 macrumors regular

I prefer fresh installs with new OS versions, specially now that there is a new filesystem around aswell. Had some bugs with upgrades before, and I dont mind cleaning up once a year.

5. jerryk macrumors 601

I am not consistent. But for Sierra to High Sierra I just downloaded and installed the upgrade. I had a presentation to give this weekend and did not want to have to build everything from scratch.

So far no issues with High Sierra.