Clean OS X Install Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ThatTechGuy, Oct 30, 2015.

1. ThatTechGuy macrumors member

Hi there,

I have a Mid 2009 MBP (MacBookPro5,3) and it's HD failed last week. No biggy, it was old, so I bought a 480 GB SSD from OWC. It arrived yesterday and I went to install OS X on it after formatting it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) via target disk mode on my iMac. That's where I ran into trouble and need some help. Here is what I have tried to do so far:

- Internet Recovery. Didn't work, my MB isn't supported. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

- I made a bootable OS X El Cap thumb drive. This was slow, but ultimately gave me an error after getting to the point in the install where the MB needed to restart. I tried this approach twice.

- I made a bootable El Cap HD, thinking maybe the thumb drive was too slow or corrupt for some reason. Still didn't work, same problem as the the thumb drive. I tried this three times.

- I figured maybe I had to install the ORIGINAL OS for some reason…10.5. I got my hands on the disk today and it gives me an error "Mac OS cannot be installed on this computer"

- I tried the same thing using a 10.6 install disk and it loads up to the "Select a drive" portion, but won't display the SSD. Even while booted into the 10.6 install disk and in disk utility the SSD doesn't show. This is strange because is display on my iMac desktop and in disk utility when in target disk mode.

- Lastly, I tried booting my iMac to the install disk and installing the OS on my MB via target disk mode, but that just gave me some terminal script on my iMac and the message that my Mac needs to shut down.

Any advice??

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Chances are that the SSD isn't working properly. Make sure to create a partition making sure it's set on GUID, if you can do a 100% all-out drive erase (security button in the erase tab), and click on verify to make sure it's fine. I would also temporarily try installing on a different HDD using the same computer, maybe it'll help you narrow down the possibilities of failure.

3. ThatTechGuy thread starter macrumors member

I will try that out when I get home later and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

4. ThatTechGuy thread starter macrumors member

I tried what you said and it still wouldn't work. I ended up being able to walk-in to the Apple Store tonight and, after some trouble, booted it up to their network 10.11 Restore Drive and voila. Thanks for your input though!

5. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Glad it worked out!