clean OS X install on already used SSD - what to do to keep max performance?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lars666, Jul 4, 2011.

1. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hi everybody,

I want to to a clean re-install of OS X on my iMac with SSD and have a short question: Is there anything to consider when formating the SSD to keep the maximal performance? Means: Will it be perfectly fine to "only" format the SSD with Disk Utility (which, as I guess, simply "marks" all the data as deleted) or will the SSD keep better performance if I also overwrite all data with zeros before re-installing the system? Will the second way result in a less-fragmented "new start" for my SSD or is this not how things with the files on it work? Or does the finally enabled TRIM function takes care of all of this anyway?

I would be nice if someone (who knows better how exactly a SSD works) could give me a hint how to do my new clean install the perfect way if it really makes a difference. Thanks a lot in advance!

2. Voondebah macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=841182

Bear in mind that if your iMac supports TRIM on the SSD, there is no need to do anything. Check by opening System Profiler, selecting Serial-ATA from the left panel and then read the info on your drive for the "TRIM support". If yes, don't need to do anything. If no, try the info in the thread linked above.

3. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for the reply, Voondebah. As my SSD supports TRIM (directly enabled by Apple, not a 3rd party enable) I guess I won't have to do anything and can just re-install. That's fine with me ... :) Thanks again for the info!!!