clean os x vs xp

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krypticos, Jul 8, 2008.

1. krypticos macrumors regular

ok i have done some research and came up with nothing. what i am wanting to know is do you have to clean os x like you have to with xp like emptying to temp folder stuff like that. that takes up valuable hard drive space. if so what program do you recommend. sorry if this has been posted could not find anything on it. Thank you for your time.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Temp folder? Defragging? Whuh?

Nope. Welcome to simplicity.

3. CavesOfTQLT macrumors newbie

Too right.

Out of curiosity I've just done some spotlight searches for anything 'temporary' and the only thing I came across was a folder called 'Temporary Downloaded Files'. Mmm, wonder what's in there after 14 months of heavy Macbook use. Oh noooooo :eek::eek::eek::eek:

1 file. Now deleted :D.

4. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Wow... I only had seven things in after two years... although I'm not sure if I've cleaned it out before...

Dæmon

5. chscag macrumors 68000

Spotlight doesn't find every "temp" folder. You also have one at:
    /tmp/

It's hidden and unless you log on as root you won't be able to view it or remove anything from it. But not to worry, the system cleans it out on reboot. :D

Regards.

6. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

7. krye macrumors 68000

krye

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Wish OSX were as rosy as these other posters would have you believe; it can use a bit of tidying up every once in a while. Defragging is possible, but typically not necessary in OSX because it is run in automatic scripts that typically run while you are sleeping. The problem is, especially with a laptop, your computer may be off when those scripts should run. I run Onyx about once a month to keep things neat: http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html .

Don't, however, feel like you need to run everything that Onyx offers. Don't, for example, delete ds files. Basically, just run the scripts and permission repair (which can also be done from disk utilities in your utilities folder).

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Onyx is an amazing application. Many argue it is unnecessary since OS X being Unix, runs its own maintenance scripts, however I mainly use it for deleting browsing history, cookies etc.

10. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

thank you all for replies and i thought so but i had to ask

11. mr.light macrumors 6502

Never had to do anything like that since my first Mac in the 80's!:p