Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krypticos

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ok i have done some research and came up with nothing. what i am wanting to know is do you have to clean os x like you have to with xp like emptying to temp folder stuff like that. that takes up valuable hard drive space. if so what program do you recommend. sorry if this has been posted could not find anything on it. Thank you for your time.

CavesOfTQLT

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
England
Welcome to simplicity.
Too right.

Out of curiosity I've just done some spotlight searches for anything 'temporary' and the only thing I came across was a folder called 'Temporary Downloaded Files'. Mmm, wonder what's in there after 14 months of heavy Macbook use. Oh noooooo :eek::eek::eek::eek:

1 file. Now deleted :D.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Too right.

Out of curiosity I've just done some spotlight searches for anything 'temporary' and the only thing I came across was a folder called 'Temporary Downloaded Files'. Mmm, wonder what's in there after 14 months of heavy Macbook use. Oh noooooo :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wow... I only had seven things in after two years... although I'm not sure if I've cleaned it out before...

Dæmon

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Too right.

Spotlight doesn't find every "temp" folder. You also have one at:
/tmp/

It's hidden and unless you log on as root you won't be able to view it or remove anything from it. But not to worry, the system cleans it out on reboot. :D

Regards.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Wish OSX were as rosy as these other posters would have you believe; it can use a bit of tidying up every once in a while. Defragging is possible, but typically not necessary in OSX because it is run in automatic scripts that typically run while you are sleeping. The problem is, especially with a laptop, your computer may be off when those scripts should run. I run Onyx about once a month to keep things neat: http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html .

Don't, however, feel like you need to run everything that Onyx offers. Don't, for example, delete ds files. Basically, just run the scripts and permission repair (which can also be done from disk utilities in your utilities folder).

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Onyx is an amazing application. Many argue it is unnecessary since OS X being Unix, runs its own maintenance scripts, however I mainly use it for deleting browsing history, cookies etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.