Clean re-install of office 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by .mark., Jun 4, 2008.

1. .mark. macrumors 6502

Hey, I'm having problems with office 2008 and would like to do a clean re-install. I've tried the remove office app in the office folder but this is not solving my problem and I suspect that this does not do a fully clean uninstall as when I come to do another install, office already knows my product ID (so I don't have to enter my serial again). I've tried removing bits in library/application support but this is not helping. I just need to re-install it again fresh!

please help me!!!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You need to run "Remove Office.app" which gets installed with Office to /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/

3. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

dude cheers for the reply but if you read my second sentence you'll find out i've already run this app and it's not solving my problem

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Well if you time machine then you can simply copy over with an older install. (I had to reinstall once myself)

To that same extent if you really want to fully clean your office install then just use the tool as the data that is left over contains almost no settings.

I guess I could better help you if I knew why you needed to reinstall.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sorry dude! Did not read the whole thing. Try removing all the com.microsoft.* files in ~/Library/Preferences/

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

7. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

hey thanks, i've got app cleaner installed and had a look at what it would remove and it's just the com.microsft... blah stuff that's in the library folder - i've tried removing this manually.

The reason I'm trying to re-install it is because since I upgraded to the service pack 1, none of the apps will open. click on word - it bounces in the dock a few times, stops and then nothing!! so annoying!!

I'm thinking that some file or setting is corrupted - that's why I want a completely clean re-install. The reason I'm doubting that what I'm doing is doing a clean uninstall is that when I come to re-install - it's not asking me to enter the serial number - it's already got a product ID - so something is persisting.

any ideas?!

8. teshiee macrumors newbie

I'm having a similar problem getting rid of an old installed trial version before I can install my new one which I've purchased. I keep getting the error message saying 'please delete any old versions of office before fully installing the new version of office' when I try and open up Word or Powerpoint etc...

Is there any way you can completely wipe your system of all microsoft programs ...?

Can anyone help??

Please :)

9. mpritz macrumors newbie

Navigate to the folder named 'Library' in your home folder, where you will see another folder named 'Preferences'. The 'Preference' folder will contain another folder named 'Microsoft'. Drag the 'Microsoft' folder to the trash and you should be good to go.

Your home folder is the folder where you have the 'Documents', 'Movies', 'Music', etc. folders. When you click on the Finder, it will be listed next to the little house icon.

10. Eiviken macrumors newbie

I don't know if you have to do this too, but I also removed all the com.microsoft.* files pluss the microsoft folder in the application support folder at the same location; home/library/..

Worked like a charm! :)

11. contempt macrumors member

Here's all you need to delete:
    ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Microsoft Office 2008 Settings.plist
    /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/OfficePID.plist

12. bentotzky macrumors newbie

:D Does the AppCleaner works for MacBookPro also? I'm sorry I'm a newbie user of MacBook Pro.. a switched from PC user (25 years) to MacBook Pro user (newbie 3 days)..

What I did on my office 2008 is drag the entire office 2008 folder in the trash bin.. Is this sufficient enough to remove office 2008 completely and reinstall it fresh?

Thanks