Clean reinstall, archive, or something else?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yojitani, Dec 26, 2008.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm not really sure of the best course of action for sorting out a few computer problems, so I'd like your advice.

First, the main problem seems to come with software that interacts with peripherals of some sort. So, the software for my multieffects pedal (guitar) doesn't interact properly with the pedal. My multifunction printer frequently goes offline or, worse, Acrobat (CS3 - I tried CS4 and that has the same problem) shuts down suddenly when I'm scanning something. I suspect a problem with the computer because both applications work fine with my laptop.

I was thinking of just doing a full clean reinstall, but I'm wondering if that is necessary. I bought this computer in Feb and put a clean install of Leopard on it then. It's pretty much had problems like this since March, I just haven't bothered to take care of them.

I have run tech tool and found 0 errors. I also run Onyx on occasion for a tune up/clean up. I have also tried deleting preferences for both apps., as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the apps. I have not zapped pram.

Thanks for the help!

Also, config: iMac 2.4, 24". 4GB RAM, 320GB HD Leopard 10.5.6

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, I find a reinstall to be the best (easiest) solution when a computer seems to have developed a case of the gremlins. However, nobody says you can only do it once. Running an archive and install with the installer set to preserve your user and network settings will only replace your system files, which means the practical effect for you will just be that you'll now be running a lower version of the operating system (that you can subsequently patch). Your problems may be carried along, but because OS X's installer is so fast to run, I'd start there. If that doesn't work, you can do a more serious install afterwards.