clean reinstall possible with leopard drop-in dvd?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hellfried, May 3, 2008.

1. hellfried macrumors member

i am getting conflicting answers after visiting different forums.

i bought my iMac in November 2007 and it came with the leopard drop-in dvd. i booted into tiger which was pre-installed and immediately upgraded to leopard using the dvd. its now 6 months since and i have consistently updated the os till date.

is it possible for me to do a reinstall of leopard using the drop-in dvd? :apple:

2. MacAodh macrumors regular

From what I understand, the leopard drop in dvd is a full copy and therefore yes but if you put it in and hold down c while restarting the menu should come up as to what you can and can't do.

by the way, why do you need to reinstall?

3. hellfried thread starter macrumors member

after slipping in the dvd i am presented with the installation window. i clicked the install icon and it asked if i would like to restart leopard. i click yes and imac automatically reboots from the disk even without having to hold down the 'c'. i am presented with the standard issue install screen. so i guess i can reinstall from the disk.

wouldn't the computer slow down after sometime of installing 3rd party apps and daily usage? i have also tweaked some of the default icons using candybar and other apps like 'stacks in da place'. just in case i need to on a rainy day.............

4. MacAodh macrumors regular

.. being stupid, forgot you can just put the dvd in and restart. But if the menu comes up, the menu comes up...

Just don't do what a friend of mine did, reinstalled nice and happy and then used timemachine to get all his old stuff back... Nice and clean install...:p

5. hellfried thread starter macrumors member

so do u subscribe to the view that with time the os will slow down?

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

The only effect you get from reinstalling is loosing all your stuff and preferences. Installing a lot of apps wont hurt your computer considering that they are all self contained, and the most litter they leave is a tiny text file. There is practically no need for you to reinstall OS X for a minor speed increase. If your computer is slow, you should first look into upgrading your RAM.

As an example, my old MBP never got OS X reinstalled in the two years i had it, and it worked great. It was fast from the day i got it to the day i replaced it.

7. hellfried thread starter macrumors member

thats good to know. on the same topic i am using AppCleaner to delete my 3rd party apps. i am a stickler for getting rid of that 'tiny text file'. :eek: