Clean Restore 2011 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by reluttr, Oct 30, 2011.

1. reluttr macrumors member

So I finally got my imac the other day, and being a noobie to the Mac OS. I Have already screwed up. I installed some software and it did not work the way I expected, and cannot figure out how to properly uninstall it and its plugins.

I also didnt have the common sense to do a time machene backup. So I am in need of a way to do a clean install, as in like it was when I got it from the factory.

Can anyone tell me the best way to do it? The iMac did not come with restore dvd's as that seems to be the new apple standard.

I was going to "reinstall Lion" thing in the menu I get when I hold command + r at boot, but it gave me a estimated install time of at least 24 hours, and after doing some reasearch I found out that it may not actually wipe the drive before installation.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If you want to do a complete reinstall, you need to go into disc utility and erase the drive, and then use internet recovery to install Lion. But before you do all that, search for some threads on removing plug ins and such. Reinstalling OSX is a lot of work for the minor issue that you have.

3. reluttr thread starter macrumors member

It seems you are right, I went to install my copy of adobe cs5 on my system and it installed a few things that it did not in windows such as Growl.

I was afraid that the download may had been insecure, especially since there is a virus floating around that impersonates flash. But after doing some research it seems that Growl was purposely put in cs5 as a way to alert the user of software updates and such.

The issues don't stop there though, when I installed cs5 it naturally installed flash player as well... So I was afraid that it may had installed a older version on top of the up to date one I had installed when I first set up my imac.

So I have uninstalled flash player using the adobe uninstaller on their web site and reinstalled the most recent flash.

Here's hoping this fixed my issue :D

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That should be fine. I was really confused too when I saw growl on my machine.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Growl…you're overthinking it my friend. Relax and enjoy; the odds of picking up some malware are super low.

FWIW Adobe is a bit of a renegade in terms of their Mac installations; I have always come to grief when messing with their stuff, way more so than other mac applications. Just do their standard install and ignore the impulse to tweak it, no matter how many duplicate, orphaned little Adobe gnomes you see hanging around. It should Just Work.

Rob

7. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I installed Unison from Panic and it installed Growl without asking. Asses. The first time it did it I thought I had a virus or something. Then I learned what it was and how damn near impossible it is to get a virus with Mac.

Chill.