Clean slate install on G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fore, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Fore macrumors newbie

I got a G5, and want to use it only as a music server. I want to reload only the basic OS X system. I have the original install discs, "Power Mac G5 Install discs 1 and 2", but also a single disc that says "Mac OS X Tiger/includes Xcode 2". Which one do I use and how? I also have a disc for airport express, wireless keyboard and mouse, Nvidia disc for soundcard, and lastly, an Apple display disc.

So what's the process of reinstalling the original software for a clean start? IE: What's the order of all the discs I have mentioned?

Thanks for any help!
    Chris

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

As for installing OS X determine which is the more recent version the Tiger 10.4 retail disc or the original gray discs (which could be 10.2, 10.3 or 10.4). After installing OS X you can really just install the drivers and software in any order you feel like.

For my own personal preference I...
    1. Format hard drive in Disk Utility on the install CD.
    2. Install OS X
    3. Install Drivers
    4. Install OS Updates
    5. Install Software
    6. Install Software updates
    7. Configure custom settings
    8. Move data files (actually I do this throughout the software install and update process)

3. Fore thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You Very Much Velocityg4! I really appreciate it! Funny, weird though, that the original OS/grey discs is two cd's; while I think, the newer Tiger OS is only one cd.

Either way, Thanks again. I had no clue which came first ;)

Chris

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If the grey discs are before Tiger then they are CD's while Tiger is on DVD. If it is Tiger I think they also include iLife and hardware diagnostics which adds considerably to the space needed.

5. Fore thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense. I may just stick with the grey discs then. Again, thanks!

6. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Also, remember that the grey discs include whatever version of iLife shipped with your G5, whereas the Tiger disc (if its a retail disc) is the OS only - no iMovie, iPhoto, etc.

EDIT: Darn, didn't see it above. Nevermind... :)

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are the gray discs Tiger? You can always install Tiger off the retail disc then install iLife off the gray discs.

8. Fore thread starter macrumors newbie

Then that's the disc want to use as I don't need/want all those programs. I only need I tunes, which I can download by itself later. Thanks again for the help.