Clean Snow Leopard install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Washac, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

If I make a backup using Super Duper, then clean install Snow Leopard, copy back my
    backup from Super Duper, would this be classed as a clean install ?

Thanks

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

No. You'd be right back where you started from (Leopard). :D

I define a "clean" install as:

1.) refomating your drive
    2.) installing SL
    3.) installing your applications from fresh sources
    4.) copying "data only" back to your mac.

Why don't you just "clone" your current Leopard setup to an external drive, then just upgrade to SL? You can always go back to where you were using SuperDuper if it doesn't work out. Not a clean install but I got away with it.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Edit: When you say: "copy back my backup from Super Duper,", that makes it sound like you are doing a 360 and ending up back where you started. If you didn't know, when you use SD to clone your drive to a backup, when you fresh install Mac OS the internal drive, one of the first things to pop up is the Migration Assistant which let's you transfer back data from various options (USB/FW external drive are considered different sources, "External Volume/Another Mac", respectively).

--

I'd have to side with Richard to an extent here. However, you can still continue with your method of backing up/cloning, wiping, installing SL, but when you get to the Migration Assistant, just chose to copy over select user data like pictures/music and such.

There still is a possibility of a corrupt user file coming over, but that's easier to solve (making a new user) than if a system file came over corrupt, or application.

With just your user data transferred over (some of it can be "difficult" to manually copy like your mail/contact data and application support data ), you can go about reinstalling applications that you need. It would also be beneficial if there happened to be a new version.

Furthermore, SL gives you much more options on how to use the Migration Assistant than previous systems.

4. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

I have SL up and running already but want to use a clean install of it.

Yes, sorry, that is want I meant to say was :

I do a backup with SL, I then do a clean install, then using the Super Duper back up I bring across the files and apps that I require, not reinstall the actual backup.

Does that sound better ?

I am trying to sort out why I keep getting random Kernal Panics, which never used to happen until I upgraded using the SL upgrade DVD rather than clean install from the Install DVD.

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

ALL installations of Snow Leopard are technically "clean", since no core system files from any previous version of OSX are retained or updated.
    ie: By default, the existing system is wiped and SL is installed, then your Time Machine backup is restored.

By way of contrast, an "upgrade" installation from Panther to Tiger, for example, would simply update existing files and add new files as necessary.
    An "Erase and Install" installation of Tiger would work *essentially the same way as the default installer for Snow Leopard.

*some features of SL installer would obviously be absent from earlier systems.