Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Any advice for how to best clean out the keyboard of my Macbook pro? Normally, I would just remove the keys, but i've been having trouble accomplishing that. Any advice?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Any advice for how to best clean out the keyboard of my Macbook pro? Normally, I would just remove the keys, but i've been having trouble accomplishing that. Any advice?

Pop off the keyboard like most other Apple portables and gently shake out the crumbs and such.

jonharris200

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
London, UK
Related question: how do you clean a normal, standalone Apple keyboard (eg an iMac keyboard)? Do you have to somehow 'pop off' all those keys too, or can you unscrew the back...? If there's an existing thread on this, I'd be glad for a pointer.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I was pretty sure that the MacBook Pros have the same tabs on the keyboard as those on the Powerbook and the iBook. Look between the keys at the top of the keyboard on both ends...

lol no :p I had a bad expierience once. I popped off a few keys by accident and they suck at getting them back in :p

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
If you don't feel like taking the keyboard apart, and mind you it is the entire keyboard/speaker cover/track pad, then try getting a keyboard vac or something. Or just like someone said, tilt upside down, hold on tightly, and shake.

Kodex

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Only iBooks have pop off keyboards, to remove the KB on a macbook pro you have to remove 2 screws from the RAM cage, this is not a user installable area and you will void your warrenty to remove the KB however. Use a computer safe cleaning spray and a vaccum

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
If you can find a can like WD-40 but with air. That should get fingernails/hair/crumbs out.

That's why I use an iSkin. It really does do the trick. It's kept hair/crumbs from getting under the keys.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
get that ninja air duster off thinkgeek, or something simular... or just an aircompressor (take it to a workshop or painter, and ask them)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.