Clean then Jailbreak and Unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by boltz, Feb 1, 2011.

1. boltz macrumors newbie

I currently have a jailbroken/unlocked iphone 3g. ios 3.1.2 (7D11) and firmware 05.11.07 . I would like to wipe it clean eliminating all data then upgrade to ios 4.2.1 then jaibreak it and unlock it. I want to maintain an untethered jailbreak and don't want to update my baseband unless necessary. Is the baseband the same as the firmware? I have read many articles online but nothing fits my particular situation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. noiceT macrumors 6502a

3G is always untethered. Baseband and firmware are not the same at all. Firmware = 3.1.2
    Baseband = 05.11.07

Jailbreaking is based on Firmware.
    Unlocking is based on Baseband.

What is the purpose for going to iOS4? Although some people need is for certain apps, 4.0 and above runs ALOT slower than 3.1.3. You will lose the smoothness and take a significant performance hit. If any of the FW though, 4.2.1 is the smoothest for the 3G.

Basically wanting an unlock + 4.2.1, you will sacrifice a few things:

- Lose GPS
    - Potential "push notification" problems
    - You will not be able to restore to stock

Read all about it here:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Tutorial if you still want to:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12947

**Make sure to read and understand everything before attempting...as there's no coming back from the ipad baseband hack. You're still in a good place in terms of Baseband, so choose wisely ^^

3. boltz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your insights. My iphone has been running very slow lately so I wanted to start from scratch again and thought I may as well use the newest ios. Can you recommend a way to wipe my iphone clean without upgrading either the OS or the baseband? Thanks for your help.

4. nebo1ss, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The information in this response is partly incorrect. You have assumed he needs to go to the IPAD baseband and he does not. He can restore with custom firmware and retain his existing 5.11 baseband and not experience any of the problems you have described such as GPS issues etc.