Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
i have a 1st gen iphone unlocked, running 2.1. in cydia there's a storage tab. my system shows i'm using 82.1% with 17.9% free.
some apps (like voice recorder, notes, etc) have a terrible and annoying lag to them. is it possible to free up system space so the phone in general runs faster? if so, how?
can i free up space by deleting things like sources? if so, which ones? the only things i use from cydia are winterboard, bitesms, and scrobbled.

thanks!

Four20

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
the only thing you need to do to make it perform quicker is reboot the device

there are a few applications in the App Store that lets you manually free up some RAM. . .but that's as far as it goes

KingHuds

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
Is there a guide somewhere to where all the files are for the dock, icons, etc.? So I can SSH a theme on?

OrangeDog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
I'm going to jailbreak one more time and try to do as much as possible without using winterboard.

I'm reading as much as I possibly can and hopefully I should be able to follow the success that others have had.

Some of the themes that people post are totally mouth drooling.....I wish they also mention HOW they did it :(

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Remove MobileSubstrate and all applications that depend on it (Intelliscreen, etc.) That along should yield some serious performance increases.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Winterboard creates that horrible lag. I uninstalled it off my jailbroken device and it runs about as smooth as it ever has in the past. MobileSubstrate apparently causes lag too, but I like notifier too much to get rid of it. Winterboard is the worst for lag.

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
i didn't think winterboard created the lag, but sounds like it might. in older version (before winterboard/summerboard), i used to SSH over everything to replace the actual file. a bit more time consuming, but it got the job done. perhaps i need to do the same again seeing as i never change icons.

as far as the use in storage, none of the packages in cydia have anything to do with that? ie, if i remove a few of the sources, i'll free up space?

Winterboard?

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
as far as the use in storage, none of the packages in cydia have anything to do with that? ie, if i remove a few of the sources, i'll free up space?

Applications installed through apt/Cydia certainly do take up space, but the sources themselves do not (well, they take up a couple KB at most). The source list simply defines what repositories you can search/install from -- the applications you install from those are what you have to worry about re: storage space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.