Clean upgrade of Leopard..keep preinstalled apps??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidg4781, Aug 11, 2007.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Does anyone that's upgraded OSs before know if they come with some of the preinstalled apps, such as that Comic app or any other that may have come with the MacBook? I haven't messed around with much of them, but I'm starting to delve into it and was wondering if they'd be there after I upgrade. I am planning on doing a clean install, so the current apps will be gone. If they're not, can I just install them from the restore disks??

(notice how I said anyone with previous experiences with upgrading? It irks me when people ask if Leopord's going to come with this, or will it do that, when if the answer isn't on Apple's site, more than likely people don't know for sure, or can't say.)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, I've taken on board what you said about nobody knowing for sure what Leopard will contain. However, it's a pretty safe bet that Leopard will not include apps that may have been installed on your system. Leopard is the OS and a few accompanying system apps, and that is all. A clean install will wipe everything off your drive including these bundled apps that came with your machine. You will be able to reinstall them from the restore discs that came with your machine. You may or may not need Pacifist to find and extract them. :)

3. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

iLife 08 and Leopard upgrade

What's going to happen to the iLife 08 package, which comes (I hope) with newly purchased machines, when the system is upgraded to Leopard?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It depends on the upgrade. Since iLife will almost certainly not be included with Leopard, a clean install will remove all the iLife apps but you should be able to reinstall them from either the iLife discs or from the restore discs if your machine came with iLife preinstalled. However an upgrade install or an Archive & Install should let you keep these apps (and files). :)

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

when you upgrade the OS (from Tiger to Leopard) you have the option to either install the OS over Tiger or erase everything and install Leopard fresh. there really is no benefit to erasing everything, unless you want to clear your hard drive, which is in almost all cases unnecessary.

by installing Leopard over Tiger (without erasing everything), all your apps, including iLife '08, will remain intact.

6. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

What's the difference between an Archive&Install and upgrade install?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Archive & install replaces just the System files, and sets the old ones aside a backup folder. Any application which installed a kernel extension in your previous system will need to be reinstalled. Unless you know in advance that you've got applications which will not work with Leopard, you don't really gain anything by choosing an archive & install.

8. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

My plan is to buy a new hard drive (larger!!!) and install Leopard onto that one. I'll probably put my old one into an enclosure and move my files over that way. One question, and this may be off topic (but I just thought of it), how will it work when I move over my iPhoto stuff? Will ALL the library move over, with keywords and folders and albums and such, or will it just export the photo, and I'll have to reimport them?

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you're installing on to a new hard drive, you can run Migration Assistant after starting the install process. It'll ask you if you want to copy anything over from an old Mac. If you put the old disk in an external fw enclosure, it'll read from that and import most of your stuff as is while leaving the system intact.

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

The main reason I want to do a clean install is because a while back, I installed Palm Desktop, then upgraded to Missing Sync. I removed PD, but I'm still finding bits and pieces of it all over the place. It's just annoying.

As for anything else, most of it is songs, that I can easily move over, documents, that are all in one folder, and photos, which I need to figure out what I'm going to do.

I'm not going to do it as soon as it comes out, anyway. I'll wait till bugs clear, maybe even for Office '08 (so I won't have to install Office '04).

11. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

ummmmmm

day of the presentation, iLife '08 was (and still is) shipped with all newly purchased macs.

12. DopestGingah macrumors regular

If I want to do a clean install (delete everything), and I choose the install Leopard fresh option, will everything be securly erased? I have personal things on my computer that I do not want to be shared with anyone. How should I do this?

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Use Archive and Install.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's a pretty key point that we all seem to be forgetting. :D

However, some people may have bought a Mac since iLife 08 came out, but before Leopard and may be wanting to upgrade via the retail version of Leopard.