Clean ups etc...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

I may be barking up the totally wrong tree here but am so used to virus scanning, malware, disk clean up from all those years of windows, Is there anything that needs to be done on a MBP? It's just so weird not doing anything, or is there something you guys and gals use for keeping it maintained or checking for errors on disk(or don't they get errors)?

2. simsaladimbamba

There is not really a need, unless you need to solve problems, but that can often be done with system tools like Disk Utility or Console.
    Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

3. dgbowers macrumors member

dgbowers

Every now and then I run Onyx but mainly it's just because I feel like doing something. Like the previous poster said, the only reason you'd need to clean it is if something is messed up.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there isn't. Welcome to the world of Mac! While it does seem like a void in your "chores" list, "cleaner" apps are not necessary for Mac OS X, and some do more harm than good. Your Mac will run fine for years to come without any 3rd party apps or extra intervention on your part. As already posted, the only malware that can run on your Mac requires you to actively install it, so no antivirus is needed. Be sure to read the links posted by simsaladimbamba.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you people, I was talking more about the cleaning up files yes, and not the virus side of things as I know your thoughts on those... but seeing ads in MacFormat for the MacWipes of this world are presumably like CCleaners, but that's what I was finding out, if they are needed, and as you guys say, no. It was the redundancy of not maintaining, as you rightly point out, all very alien to me!

6. dduggan macrumors newbie

Because OS X has a Unix core, I'm sure there exisits a bunch of sub routines that run on a schedule which automatically clean logs, caches etc for you. I think they have a set that run once a day, week and month.

7. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

8. simsaladimbamba, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

simsaladimbamba

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, do you recommend it or just let it do it's stuff without using settings?

10. simsaladimbamba

Unless you know what you are doing, and even then, I would leave them alone, unless they interfere with your Mac or are causing trouble.

11. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, I've no idea what I'm doing.. :D
    Best left, thanks

12. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

u dont need anything Macs don't get viruses, i have a simple program to check my downloads just because i don't want to somehow download a virus for windows (even though it wont work anyway) i just don't want it just in case i have to give someone (with a pc) a file. even if what i'm saying doesn't make sense, Macs don't get viruses. Only malware affects them and only if u are dumb enough to put in your password on some random site that automatically downloads it. plus apple is updating the malware definitions every time there is a new one so u are protected. i have never gotten a virus and u wont either.

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I just saw that 'CleanMyMac' is it? And although I know it's not a virus thing, wondered if it was because it cleans up files left about like the dreaded Windows left, but from what I have gleamed from you lovely people, not needed....

14. simsaladimbamba

Stay away from CleanMyMac, as it might delete too much. There is really no additional software needed, you need to get that out of your mind. It took me a while too and I screwed up a lot in my first year of Mac OS X 10.3, but at least that's how I learn a lot too. So maybe if you don't mind screwing up your Mac every once in a while, while having a backup, then go on. You learn that way too.

Btw, MacDefender was the malware going around the last month, but it didn't do any harm to Mac OS X, it just tricked users that there would be viruses and other kinds of malware on the Mac and in order to remove it, they wanted a CC number.
    Read the Malware FAQ.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any "cleaner" apps. One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

16. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, I hear you.

GGJ, I bet he was really pleased that he decided to defend his product in that thread:cool:

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! I really wasn't picking on the guy, but facts are facts!

18. smoge macrumors regular

smoge

education and common sense, sounds a bit radical dont you think :p

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

After much deep and profound brain things inside my head, I have decided not to voluntarily install malware on my Mac! :D

20. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey guys, Windows does things to you after so many years.
    Now if they had a 'Enter Password should you wish to allow a virus on your system' like Mac, We'd be sorted!