"Clean" Water Damage Sensor

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Fast/Furious, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Putting on the Invisible Shield left the moisture sensor pink in my dock connector + headphone port (I used the sponge version, not the spray btw). There is no actual damage to any of these parts, but since I am reselling this phone soon to buy an iPhone 4 would there be a way to turn the moisture sensor white again? I heard bleach would work but I'm not too keen on pouring bleach into the dock connector of my phone :S

Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The water sensor is there for a reason. While it is not like turning back an odometer it's there to say that at one point the original owner f'ed up and got their device wet.

Selling something knowing you altered this sensor is unethical if you don't at least pony up the info. However, no harm no foul if all is good, right? This falls on where your moral compass lies. If you shove the moral compass up one's ass then by all means, use a q-tip with bleach on the end. Don't "pour" bleach into the port. That silly, really.

3. Fast/Furious thread starter macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Like I said, everything still works. The current 3GS I have is an Apple refurb that still is on the 90-day warranty.. personally I'd rather sell it to someone and tell them I fixed the sensor so they can get the warranty in case anything happens. Where I live, the average person doesn't even know where the moisture sensors are and as a result don't inspect them when buying used; then they get reamed by AppleCare when they try to receive warranty =/ I'm just trying to do the buyer a favour.

And I wasn't going to "pour" it in; I'm just wondering if such caustic chemicals would be healthy to have in/near an iPhone's fragile bits :p

4. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Do them a favor and tell them you triggered the sensors.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

since you somehow ****ed up the install of an IS, do you think it's wise to attemot a "sensor manipulation"? I don't. I'd sell it as you're saying here and not risk further damage at your hand.

6. Fast/Furious thread starter macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

I guess you're right :p I'll just tell the buyer the truth.. thanks for tuning the "moral compass".. and btw the "sponge" IS are horrible, I exchanged it for the spray version and it was perfect!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bleach wouldnt work and could make it worst.
    I heard some taking the phone apart and putting whiteout or coating/painting the sensor with something.
    But then you're risking damaging the phone in the process, I'd skip it all and sell it as is.