Clean Windows 8 install on new Mac Pro (late 2013)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by panofish, Mar 7, 2014.

1. panofish macrumors newbie

panofish

I have a new Mac Pro that I want to install windows 8.1 on. I will use my older mac pro for osx and on the new mac pro, I do not want any osx partitions.

When I boot with the option key pressed and pick my windows 8 thumb drive to install... I see 3 existing partitions.

200mb efi
    465GB main partition
    620mb osx recovery partition

Since I do not need osx on this hardware... can I delete all of these partitions and create a new single partition for windows 8.1?

Aside from making sure I have the windows 8 bootcamp drivers on another thumbdrive... what other considerations should I think about?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You have a nMP and want to erase OS X and just use Windows 8.1?!

3. panofish thread starter macrumors newbie

panofish

I know... blasphemy :) but my job involves windows only and I am a programmer / 3d modeler / renderer. I have nothing against osx... it's great... I just don't need it for most of the things I do.

It seems the easy option is to resize the osx partition to minimum size (maybe 10gb) and use bootcamp assistant to install windows 8.1 as a dual boot setup... but I prefer to use all the disk space if I can. I would like to know if anyone else has tried to clean install windows 8.1 on the new mac pro cylinder (late 2013) without any osx partition?

4. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I would leave the recovery and eft partitions and get rid of the OSX partition. Makes it easier to install OSX when you see the error of your ways.

5. panofish thread starter macrumors newbie

panofish

Bootcamp assistant allows no smaller than 42gb partition for osx and disk utility will allow no smaller than 34gb repartition for osx. My default osx install is using 23gb.

If I deleted some stuff... would either utility show a possibly smaller partition resize amount? What can I delete? iMovie is the biggest app at 2.7gb. If I trash it... can I later reinstall it if I decide to use it?