Clean wipe/install mavericks/snow leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by th3godf4th3r, Dec 18, 2013.

1. th3godf4th3r macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to mavericks from snow leopard and recently got a new MBP so i am giving my old one to a friend.

I would like to wipe it clean to factory settings so that he can set everything up under his name. I am just confused on what exactly i will need to do as i am unsure if i need a mavericks copy or a snow leopard copy?

Has anyone had this problem and if so, how did you solve?

Thanks!

2. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I am not sure I understand what you are asking.

Do you mean that you would like to give him a fresh install of Mavericks?

If that is the case, then one option would be to use a flash drive and make it a bootable disk with a Mavericks install on it. After that, you would boot from the USB disk, access the disk utility, erase the hard drive, and then proceed to re-installing Mavericks.

After that, I think he would be able to fill it out with his name and other info and it would be like he turned on a new Mac.

Let me know if I helped or not.

3. th3godf4th3r thread starter macrumors newbie

yes fresh install of mavericks, i thought this created a partition or something already for that?

if not, i can get a usb drive

4. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Do you mean like a partition that is available to a user that wishes to restore to factory settings?

That could exist but I personally have never looked around for it. Maybe another user can chime in with that.

In my experience, I have achieved what you want by creating a bootable USB Disk with the installer on it and using the Disk Utility and then doing a clean install.

5. th3godf4th3r thread starter macrumors newbie

could i install this from an external hard drive or does it need to be a usb stick?

where can i download this? and how do i install? hold u on startup?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Download Mavs from the App Store but don't install it. This will leave the installer file in your Applications folder. Then follow this to create an installer on either an 8GB USB key or an 8GB partition on an external drive.

Then option key boot to your installer and use Disk Utility to erase the entire disk (select the disk name at the top like Seagate 1TB or whatever). Then quit Disk Util and click install OS.

That will give you a clean drive with nothing but Mavs on it.

7. th3godf4th3r thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, after trying to put mavs on the usb several ways, I finally got it and wiped and reinstalled this morning!

worked great! Thanks guys!