Clean your Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daneoni, Apr 30, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Just finished cleaning my Mac and it totally feels like a shiny new machine. Dusted the keyboard, wiped the aluminum case and cleaned the screen and it just feels pretty doggone nice.

Clean your macs people, both in and out

Why did i post this? if you couldn't tell from the whole cleaning thing...it's because i'm bored.

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Woot!

Another piece of advice- don't eat around your computers. Easiest way to prevent extra debris from getting under the keyboard, etc. Wash your hands after eating too, less grease on the computer.

3. tecknical macrumors regular

my MBP is pretty damn dirty right now. that's what college does to you. sleepless nights, snacks become meals and grease is king

4. latogoga macrumors member

Same here. My alum MB keyboard is covered with a thin layer of grease. I'ts disgusting. What do you people recommend to clean the keyboard and the alum shell?

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I used/use non-bleach dettol wipes, that way not only do i clean but i also get rid of bacteria and grime. I then use iKlear for the screen.

6. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I usually just use some sort of wet wipe as well, sometimes I will bust out my 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean it.

7. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

.. and buff the aluminum case w/ a chamois cloth to finish up! :cool:

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

iKlear for the trackpad and screen.
    I may take the incase hard shell off once every two or three months to get the debris out and prevent scratching. No need to clean off (had it on since day one).
    Rinse off keyboard condom (good thing those are reusable).
    Dust/Spray all ports.
    Wipe off weird black stuff from power brick cable.
    Onyx maintenance.
    TechTools Deluxe scan.
    Empty trash.
    Good to go.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I usually start by disassembling the whole machine; then I remove all the parts, desolder all the chips and clean all solder points. Wash everything down with deionized water and dry it in a clean room. Later, I resolder everything with silver solder, and rebuild the computer. Sounds tedious, but it ensured that I have a working machine.

10. aleni macrumors 68020

LOL dude!

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

LOL. I'd almost believe that you were serious, but for the fact that you mentioned a clean room. :D

12. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

...and a voided warranty

13. aleni macrumors 68020

i prefer clean machine than a warranty.

LOL...

14. jdaniel macrumors 65816

moshi everything keeps everything clean, I have the keyboard protector palm n trackpad protector. I can already tell that some parts of the moshi protector is discolouring, I have only had it since mid march. But i guess that is what it is for :)

15. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Here's what I do with my MacBook Pro and it looks brand new.

First, to clean the screen I completely wet a papertowel sheet (water only). Squeeze a little bit to get rid of the water excess and also get a dry paper towel sheet.
    With the wet papertowel sheet, clean the screen throughout. As soon as you are done (immediately) wipe it with the dry paper towel so you won't have water spots everywhere. It gets rid of fingerprints and the screen looks just like it did when it was brand new.
    I wouldn't use a cheap papertowel though, those can scratch. I would buy the Kleenex Viva ones, those are great.

For the rest of the machine I use Clorox Anywhere (it does not contain bleach). It is extremely safe and gets rid of grease without damaging the machine.

All in all, my machine looks brand new.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's what I do too. Just don't do it to the keyboard.

17. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Dude, seriously?
    Just get some non abrasive glass cleaner in an aerosol can, spray on, wipe off with a lint free terry cloth. This is a daily ritual of mine, anybody is free to it, as it is not part of a religion. Maybe a cult, but no religion.