Cleaned Dust from MacBook Pro and now it won't turn on

Jane555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
I have been given a 2008 Macbook Pro and there was a slight vibration coming from the right hand side where the hard drive is. As it was second hand I opened the back and removed all the dust, quite carefully with a small brush and a can of air duster. Now it won't turn on at all. When I push the power button a small hyphen of light appears at the front coupled with a slight clicking noise. That is all.

strukt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
Norway
Can you boot from a CD? Do you hear the boot chime sound when you press the power button?

Jane555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
I'm afraid there's no chime sound, just the slight click when I press the power button.

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Belle, WV
Did you use a wire brush? Better yet, why a brush at all. You could have knocked something loose. Double check everything.

Jane555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
I did not use a wire brush, I used a small soft artist paint brush. Naturally I double checked everything. I was just wondering if anyone had had a similar experience and whether there might be a simple solution before I take it to a repair shop.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I did not use a wire brush, I used a small soft artist paint brush. Naturally I double checked everything. I was just wondering if anyone had had a similar experience and whether there might be a simple solution before I take it to a repair shop.
did you check if the SATA cable was pulled from the hard drive?

Jane555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
SATA in place. I didn't remove anything other than the back cover. Careful as I was I am thinking something minute has been dislodged. Thanks all for your help, shall take it for repairs and report back in case what they find can help others in the future :)