cleaned iPad freaked out.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by uriel360, Sep 12, 2011.

1. uriel360 macrumors newbie

do you guys remember when you would touch those old school calculator screens you could see like some weird color water/liquid type stuff on the screen?

I usually clean my iPad with my shirt as my daughter usually leaves thumb prints on the iPad. I guess I must have cleaned/pressed too hard and saw a small little liquid type deal on the screen. I'm sure its not liquid but thats how i can describe it.

FREAKED me out cause I have cleaned pressed on my iPhone and iPods before and never really seen that before?

I now know to just gently clean the screen but anyone have that happen to them or know the proper terms for that?

thanks...

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

It happens when you push too hard on a LCD panel, it's best not to do it as it can lead to dead/stuck pixels. It's not liquid although it kind of looks like it.

3. uriel360 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea it freaked me out. trust me it wont be happening again. I guess I over did it. thanks for the reply bud.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The iPad screen is much larger and if you press in the middle it means that it will bow more. If you push hard enough it will deflect enough to make contact with the LCD beneath, causing what you saw.

Apparently both the iPhone and the iPad 2 screens are glass. But the glass on the iPad feels much thinner and plastic if you tap on it with your fingernail, even near the edge.

So yeah, don't push it so hard :)

5. TLewis macrumors 65816

Don't worry about bending the iPad2 glass. You may have to worry about scratches, or breakage due to impacts, etc., but bending shouldn't be a problem in normal use. Watch this (WARNING: TURN OFF your speakers before watching this, or you may suffer brain damage):

6. uriel360 thread starter macrumors newbie

yep that's exactly where it happened. In the middle, thanks for the heads up and explanation. now that i think of it makes sense that the middle would be more sensitive to pressure since the screen is so big. really never happened to me before since I've never really had to clean that part of the screen til last night before.

dam that does look like the iPad 2 glass is pretty hard to break. thanks for the video makes my feel much better that i didn't mess anything up.