Cleaned Keyboard with Water.. Now won't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbud21, Jun 15, 2008.

1. macbud21 macrumors newbie

I'm in a bit of a panic bc I cleaned my keyboard with magic eraser (do this fairly often) and now my comp wont turn on. There was obv water on the magic eraser and keyboard.... any thoughts? comp was off while i was cleaning it

also i currently have macbook plugged in and the orange light shows up and the sleep button is lit up (?) but it does not respodn to being turn on

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unplug it now. The more you put electricity through it, the more damage you could do.

Classic mistake, plugging it in to 'test' when it's not completely dry,

You need to let it dry for 48 hours in a warm place before plugging it in.

Go and set it on top of the refrigerator for 2 days, then try again. If you're really lucky, you haven't done any permanent damage.

Otherwise, you have hardware repairs in store. $$$. BTW if this is a notebook Mac, then consider your warranty voided.

3. macbud21 thread starter macrumors newbie

should i also take out the battery?

and how come this problem is happening now when ive don same thing several times before?????

4. souldawg macrumors member

Definitely unplug and take the battery out for at least 48 hours. Unfortunately I think you may have toasted it. Water + keyboard is never a good idea, even if it worked before. It's like playing roulette and you just hit the bullet. Hopefully it will be okay, but in the future, use a keyboard protector and/or a dust canister to clean. Stay away from the water. And as stated above, the warranty would be voided.:(

5. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Toasted.

If that is not toasted then I will be stunned.

6. macbud21 thread starter macrumors newbie

if it is toasted does that mean i cant get any of my files from the hd? would any parts of it still be okay? (the battery works i tried it on another macbook)

7. souldawg macrumors member

You can try to get the files from the HD. The info is probably there but the functionality aspect is toast. My advice, and that is coming from one who isn't a programming guru, is take it to an apple store. I'm sure someone else would probably have a more useful suggestions. Did you happen to back it up on an external drive?

When my original iBook toasted itself, the Apple store was able to pull out about 80% of my files before replacing the iBook. It wasn't everything but they managed to save my dissertation which was immense. I learned to back up my data at that point. Hard lesson to learn, but one that was taught to me.

8. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Take the battery out and put it in the dishwasher for a few cycles, that should fix it. :)

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And risk a lithium fire? :confused: