Cleaned Mighty Mouse, Still Wont Scroll Up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ghall, May 23, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So, this is really annoying me. A few days ago my mighty mouse stopped scrolling up. I cleaned it using the recomennded procedure, and it still doesn't work. Please tell me this isn't broken, and if it is, will I be able to get my money back?

2. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you need to just take it back to the Apple store, or call apple care and get a new one. (assuming that is within warenty).

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have exactly the same problem. It started about a week ago. If I press the scroll ball down hard, it starts working, temporarily.

I tried mumbling under my breath at it, but so far it hasn't taken the hint.

I'm not sure what to do about it.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Same thing happen with my housemates MM he took it into an apples tore and they used some anti static foam to clean it. Worked a treat, seems as if it is standard procedure be he took it out of his pocket and the guy immediately turn around and picked it up. Worth a try.

5. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

Apple is very good about replacing products. I'm sure that if you took it to an Apple Store, they'd replace it in an instant. That's probably your easiest option.

6. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Stuff to try

It happens to me once every week or two. Usually some combination of the following works:

Hold it upside down and blow air into it.

Water on a cloth, MM upside down, roll it around for a few minutes.

Cleaner on a cloth, MM upside down, roll it around for a few minutes.

Prayer

Taunting ("if you were a good mighty mouse, you'd scroll for me.")

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Try getting your finger decently wet (as in quite wet) and get the ball wet, and clean it off by taking your shirt or something and go side to side then up and down. Never fails for me :)

8. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

At first I thought you were trying to be funny, and said to take my shirt of and go outside. :p Gimme a break, it's early for me.

So anyway, thanks everybody for the help. I will try all the cleaning suggestions, and if they don't work I'm taking it to the Apple Store and getting my money back.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I take a clean sheet of white office paper, put it on my mousepad, then frenetically roll the mouse ball on it for a good 30-40 seconds, pressing down fairly hard. That usually does me for several weeks.

10. gavd macrumors 6502a

I second this method. It's what I do and it works for me.

11. dsyroi macrumors member

Prevention: Quit eating the Doritos while you're at the computer

12. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

Oily Fingers

Come on, now. Some of us are naturally oily.

;)

13. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

If the cleaning suggestions don't work (Apple's official one on the phone to me when calling up about a member of staffs MM was to turn it upside down and roll it around the desk for about 30 seconds) then just get them to replace it. They're great mice, I love them, but there's definitely a design flaw that seems to affect people with oily skin and Apple will only take note if they're forced to keep acknowledging the problem.

14. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, so far not a single cleaning suggestion has worked. This is getting really annoying. It scrolls down, it scrolls side to side, but it won't scroll up!

Also, I didn't think it would really matter, but I'm using the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse.

15. California macrumors 68040

California

Hey, the clean white paper (i used some old expensive out of date stationary paper with some grip to it) worked on my wired mmouse. Thanks! It came with an iBook I bought so I just figured when it conked out, it was over.

Not. Thanks for the cleaning advice.

16. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

This happens when scrolling down with my MM sometimes. I usually blow on it really hard while scrolling it around. It usually does the trick. :)

17. srexy macrumors 6502a

Invert mouse then rub on paper towel + isopropyl alcohol works for me. If you were to be really pedantic you'd use 100% but I've been using 70% and it's fine.

Having said that - you sound as if you need a new mouse :D check w/Apple.

18. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I had this problem; I considered taking it apart but I decided as it was still under warranty just to call Apple and get them to send me a new one (which they did) :)

19. Viewtiful Rich macrumors regular

Viewtiful Rich

Yeah thanks! mine just stopped scolling down and cleaning it didn't work, but rolling it around inverted did the trick.

20. Fuchal macrumors 68020

This is the method i've used and my mouse has been working great for about 2 years! (whenever the MM came out.)

21. remora macrumors newbie

That's worked for me also. Mine stopped scrolling after a couple of days and, after cursing and then ringing the Apple store, I used some 3M keyboard cleaner (it has isopropyl alcohol, a mildly abrasive cleaning pad and a lint-free polishing cloth). I just rubbed it over the scroll button (having turned off the mouse first!), rubbed it like b&*^%^&*ery and cleaned it up.

Eureka! Worked a treat and hasn't played up since.

I don't suffer from opily skin and also avoid Doritos, but you could still have a defective product.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

is it only the BT one? Has anyone ever experienced this at the Apple Store, because in all my visits they have worked fine, But then again I assume that they get routinely/weekly/daily cleaned, which I guess might be the best way to prevent this problem.