Cleaned my Mac's LCD with a demo spray. WORRIED.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shrutikashah, Sep 11, 2015.

1. shrutikashah, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

shrutikashah macrumors newbie

*deo spray. Stupid autocorrect.

I just got the brilliant idea to clean my Mac's screen with a deodorant. I used to do this with my old laptop, never had a problem per se, but that was 5 years ago.

Nothing is wrong with it at the moment, no stains or anything, and it's completely dry. However, my Mac was switched on when I did it.

Should I be worried?

2. snaky69, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015

snaky69 macrumors 603

What the actual ****?

Who does that?

Use a slightly moistened microfiber cloth, keep a side of it dry to wipe off any excess. That is all you need to keep your screen and MBP clean.

3. shrutikashah thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said, I used to do it with my old Sony laptop, and nothing ever happened to it.
    I just wanted to know if anything could. The screen is working just fine at the moment.

You don't need to be so rude :)

But thanks anyway x

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

My post wasn't intended to be rude, I just don't understand how one can go on a pick a can of deodorant and use it to clean a laptop? Heck it's not even meant to clean anything in the first place.

Unless English isn't your first language and you're mistranslating something, I simply cannot get my mind around it.

5. shrutikashah thread starter macrumors newbie

English is my first language. I'm not mistranslating anything. You don't need to get your mind around it, I simply asked for help here, and possibly some reassurance.
    I don't know when/where/how it does it, but I know it was a friend of mine that had told me about it 5-6 years ago.

The screen is working perfectly, I just finished a movie; no staining, no discolouration. It is coated with plastic, so it shouldn't do any harm; I didn't let it seep into the crevices.

So it's all good, fingers crossed.

6. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

sorry but i have to agree with snakey69 and ask WTF??? Not even sure where the idea would come from. Next we will have people cleaning their computers with fire extinguishers or something and asking if they think it's okay. It's a wind-up post obviously

7. shrutikashah thread starter macrumors newbie

What is it with people being so damn rude around here? You clearly don't have anything helpful or constructive to say, then why even bother posting?

Like I said, my Mac is working perfectly fine.

Give it a rest with the attitude, guys. I didn't start this thread to have my intellect insulted. It's not like I took the damn bottle and went to town with it, I merely dabbed a tiny portion of it on a cloth and wiped the screen.

The way you guys are talking, you'd think it was your MacBooks I had experimented on. Gosh.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's your MacBook, do whatever you please. One would think it'd be better to ask before, not after the fact, but that's just me.

I'd try and make sure your deodorant doesn't affect anti-reflective coatings. Your old Dell probably didn't have one, but your shiny new MBP does.

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Can't predict what was in the spray so I suggest you google the chemical contents and go from there.

Agree you need a common-sense pill, you can't expect to randomly spray computer parts with random unspecified chemicals and then ask if it will be ok afterwards and not get some well-deserved derision. Its because doing that was stupid.

Edit to add - I just put the original question to my 15yr old daughter who says the answer to the OP's question is "Yes".

10. macenied, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Hmm, why you want to do this ? A deo spray might not consist the ingredients you prefer for cleaning, I don´t know. It may help for a short while instead of taking a shower, but this has nothing to do with cleaning and is a different story.

Please reconsider the use of deo spray for cleaning computers.

11. hobowankenobi macrumors regular

But, the real question is.......how does it smell?

I like a nice beach smell, something fresh. Not too sweet, and musk is right out.

BTW, for the freshest smell, I use Windex for deodorant. No pit streaks!