Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diamond Dave

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Between about 2001 & 2003 I worked on a few semi-professional digital video projects for both web & DVD - editing & compositing plus some DVD authoring.

I recently uncovered 3 manuals from that era that I used at the time. These are for:

Terran Cleaner 5 - 293 pages, from 2000, for Mac OS 9

DVD Studio Pro 1 - 170 pages, from 2001, for Mac OS 9, with an addendum for version 1.5 - 5 pages, from 2002, for Mac OS 9 & Mac OS X

and

DVD Studio Pro 2 - 613 pages, from 2003, for Mac OS X

These are not litho printed & perfect bound originals though - rather they are black & white laser prints of the PDFs that I downloaded at the time. They are printed double sided on A4 90gsm copier paper, and comb bound with acetate covers on the fronts & backs.

Video editing, compositing & DVD authoring was a line of work that I greatly enjoyed and that I would some day like to revisit and ultimately do full time professionally. However, due to reasons I won't bore the reader with, I'm very unlikely to be in a position to devote any time or money to any digital video training or study for maybe a couple of years at least.

Now, given how out of date these are, and that I won't be starting to re-enter the world of DV any time soon, which scenario is the correct one:

1. The manuals are worthless - I should remove the bindings & put the them in the paper recycle.

or

2. Someone that still uses these bits of software might want to buy the manuals, even if they can still download the PDFs for free, as printing them out & binding them would be time consuming and a pain to do, so I should list them on eBay - I might get 2 or 3 Pounds for each of them.

or

3. I should keep them, or at least keep the DVD Studio Pro 2 manual, as even a few years from now some of the information might help me with my studies. The software is out of date but the principles described will still be relevant.

I'm sure 99% of people reading this will be thinking - "Why hasn't he binned them already? Does he have OCD & an urge to compulsively horde manuals for prehistoric software that's of no use to anyone?"

If you're thinking this then you're probably not too far off the mark, but I thought I'd ask the question just on the off chance that I should hang on to them or put them on eBay.

Many thanks.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
I'd keep them. Too much gets lost in our fast-paced times. Somewhen you'll pick them out from the shelf and remember the good old times.

I'm kind of a pack rat though, still having my Pascal books around.

Diamond Dave

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Thanks for the replies.

In the end I put the Cleaner & DVD Studio Pro 1 manuals in the paper recycle.

I would have done the same with the DVD Studio Pro 2 manual, but given that any reply on an internet forum that consists merely of the word "This" irritates me (due to the terseness & implied impatience/superiority complex), I decided to be bloody-minded and keep it.

Thanks to LethalWolfe for helping me choose. :)

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007
Edit: maybe that's not what you meant. Comment removed before anybody saw it.

Last edited:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks for the replies.

In the end I put the Cleaner & DVD Studio Pro 1 manuals in the paper recycle.

I would have done the same with the DVD Studio Pro 2 manual, but given that any reply on an internet forum that consists merely of the word "This" irritates me (due to the terseness & implied impatience/superiority complex), I decided to be bloody-minded and keep it.

Thanks to LethalWolfe for helping me choose. :)

LOL. No Problem. :)

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
This.

Lethal
Yep we have v 3 to 7 here. They are in the same gulag as Adobe, Autodesk, Alias and Avid tree killers. The previous employee before me made out like a bandit on eBay with the older manuals.
I dont need the hassle when the boss wants to do inventory :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.