Cleaner for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dcaccount, Aug 26, 2014.

1. dcaccount macrumors regular

Hello,

I am new to the Mac world and in the Windows environment I have always used cleaners like Ccleaner to keep the system clean.

I wonder if this program can be advisable for the Mac world as well.

Would you please advise your recommendation?

Thanks!

Daniele

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

There is a CCleaner for Mac. Why not use that?

https://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

Maybe I misunderstood and you knew that and just looking for an answer on whether you should use it, in that case yes it would be fine as long as you double check you're only deleting junk temporary files from browsers, trash, etc.

I would always keep a Time Machine backup just in case you delete something important. Also a TM backup is a good idea for everyone, using ccleaner or not.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

:eek:

Why would need a "cleaner" on OS X ?

You don't...

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

All it does usually is clean temporary files, download history, internet cache, empties trash bin, things like that.

Don't fall for the fanboy trap that Mac keeps things perfect. There is no harm done deleting old files left over from internet browsers.

"Omgz Mac need no file cleaning evar they r sooooo gud"

5. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Don't use any "cleaner"
    OS X looks after itself mostly.
    And it is possible to do more harm than good.
    Won't speed up your Mac.

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Next time avoid this kind of things please.

I am not a fanboy and never said that deleting old files left over from internet browsers would harm.

Suggesting using CCleaner for Mac is just useless.

7. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

I'm also new to Macs from a Windows environment, and got used to running a cleaner periodically! I'm still fresh and a little sceptical about the whole "a Mac is secure and self cleaning" claims! I supposed the scepticism will die down in a few months, but for now I use iCare Unlimited and it hasn't caused me any issues so far.

I'm sure there are others in the Mac App store, but I can only speak for what I've tried.

The first time I ran it it cleaned out over 5GB of duplicate files in around a minute - mostly pictures, but imagine the time it would have taken to find and delete that amount manually.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Note it is the Mac newbies, not old timers, who are looking for Mac tools. That alone should be a red flag. If you don't find serious numbs of experienced users pushing a toolkit...there is likely a reason.

Turn on your firewall, and the apps sandbox (only apps from Apple or known developers can be executed), and practice safe email and internet access routines and you should be fine.