Cleanin Out The Hard Drive

topspin98

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Hey,

what is the best program to clean your mac?

I have Spring Cleaning and itshorrible because it always unexpectically quits, which pisses me off!!

My hard drive is very confusing, It has been taking up Giga-bites of space that hasnt been used!

I only have 1.68 GB of Music and 3210 pics
Microsoft Office
Quicken
Photstudio
iWork
Limewire
Mac OSX with iLife 05

I have 80gb HD and only 56.25 Gb left. That doesnt sound right to me.

Help!!!

Jake

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says.....Get yourself a copy of Omni Disk Sweeper - it will tell you what is using how much space and where....it will run in "limited" mode for free, which should give you the info you want.

I would say though, that your space does not seem too unreasonable to me...remember that an 80GB drive once formated is more like 76GB or so....iLife takes a lot of space, mostly because of the Garageband files - that's a few GB right there....also your computer will create hidden "swap" files (virtual memory) that will use some of your space as well.....oh yeah!

Comment

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Duff-Man said:
I would say though, that your space does not seem too unreasonable to me...remember that an 80GB drive once formated is more like 76GB or so....iLife takes a lot of space, mostly because of the Garageband files - that's a few GB right there....also your computer will create hidden "swap" files (virtual memory) that will use some of your space as well.....oh yeah!
Hey Duff-Man, I don't plan on using Garageband on my PB (or really at all, I suppose). Other than trashing the app, what are the other associated files/ items I should trash?

Comment

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
devilot76 said:
Hey Duff-Man, I don't plan on using Garageband on my PB (or really at all, I suppose). Other than trashing the app, what are the other associated files/ items I should trash?
Duff-Man says...Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Garageband/ is where all the audio files for garageband are stored.....that is what you'd want to trash to free up a bunch of space.....oh yeah!

Comment

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Garageband/ is where all the audio files for garageband are stored.....that is what you'd want to trash to free up a bunch of space.....oh yeah!
Duff Man, you da man! Seriously though, thanks!

::edit:: I just saved almost a full 2 GB of HD space!!! Thanks again!!! :D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.