Cleaning 24" Cinema Display Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rdowty, Sep 5, 2009.

1. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I've had a recurring problem with cloudyness forming under the screen of my 24" Cinema Display. In the past I've taken it to the Apple Store and they've replaced the glass or LCD. The last time it was a nightmare because they chipped up the aluminum housing and they basically told me never to bring it back again unless there was a problem they could see in the full brightness which is the retail store and they gave me a new unit.

Well the problem came back and this time I was on my own. I bought a couple of autobody dent removing suction cups from Amazon like I had seen the guys on ifixit.com use on a iMac and went to work.

Removing the glass is pretty easy. Just lay the monitor down on it's back, apply both suction cups and pull straight up and it comes of with little resistance.

After the glass was removed the problem was obvious. There was a tiny amount of dust around the edges of the LCD and apparently the very fine particles get past the foam seal and settle onto the back of the glass. Probably from some remodeling I'm doing on the other side of the house.

I used glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth and cleaned the back of the glass and then sprayed the LCD and glass with a blast of compressed air from a can and put it back together. It's hard to see the smudges until the glass is in place and after a few more removal's and re-cleaning's I got it back together looking as good as new.

The whole process was a bit nerve racking. Initially I was afraid the glass would come unstuck from the suction cups and fall and shatter but it's surprisingly light and that wasn't a issue.

I posted this because I'm sure others have had this problem and when I was doing research I found posts saying it would void the warranty and "don't try it unless you have a clean room" and other things and I wanted everyone to know it's safe and you can get good results.

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

You might want to try a different class cleaner. I tried some of the stuff I use for my car w/ microfiber and had the same clouding issue. I was panicked at first and then I tried another kind (that I new it worked well). It is the glass cleaner that is avail at Costco (three pack of aerosols).

After that I didn't have an issue. You might also want to try Staples to see what they have for cleaning screens.

Cheers.

3. rdowty thread starter macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I've got a genius appointment setup. Now dust has gotten between the LCD panel and the backlight. I've had this display in the same room as my MBP and two other Dell monitors and I can't keep the dust out of this thing while everything else is fine. I'm assuming the panel needs to be replaced and when its done it's going on eBay. Its a shame because it's such a nice monitor but its too high maintenance for me.

4. Bakman macrumors newbie

I've some stains behind the glass of my Cinema Display LED 24":
    [​IMG]

Are these stains similar to yours? I would like to know if I can clean these stains removing the monitor glass.

5. rdowty thread starter macrumors 6502a

rdowty

it's pretty easy to pop off the glass and clean the top of the screen. Last time I had dust inside screen itself.

6. Bakman macrumors newbie

So my stains look like "your" stains? :)

7. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

a good solution for cleaning glass is rubbing alcohol and a lint free white cotton cloth like an old table cloth or something similar auto detailing shops buy them in in the bag load about 10kg bags at a time, they may give you a few. microfiber cloths are ok but there's no special need to use them for cleaning glass.

You could even go to the extent of wiping on some kind of isobutylene hydrophilic coating on to the glass to stop the possibility of condensation before refitting the glass. Although personally i've yet to have had the need to do this.

8. Bakman macrumors newbie

I'm almost sure to try the official assistance... seems that this matter is pretty common (I've found a lot of people with the same problem around the net), so I think that Apple knows how to handle this.

9. Xenophon macrumors regular

Bakman, I've got the exact same problem as shown in your screenshot. I've had my display since september 2009 and live/work in New Delhi, India where there's plenty of very fine dust floating around.

My display is still under warranty so I'll carry it in and see what they say about cleaning it (hope it's covered). Anyway, I don't have a choice here but am not exactly looking forward to doing this every year. Love the display but if the problem re-occurs it was the last one from Apple for me...as rdowty says, it's just too high maintenance.

10. Bakman macrumors newbie

11. Lestdog macrumors regular

How would apple know if you took the glass off or not?