Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
What's the best way to dry-clean a 2013 Mac Pro? Mine's gathered a bit of dust over the last couple of months and I was wondering what would be the preferred method of keeping it looking new and less dusty.

Any help with this is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Vacuum with dusting brush attachment - gets the dust out where a cloth wouldn't and doesn't build up static electricity (if that would be an issue/or happen with a cloth?). Or just use a lint-free cloth if no vacuum. Don't know what other way there is to de-dust lol

Last edited:

s-hatland

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2014
along with vaccuming, or sucking, you could also try blowing with either a compressed can of air or an air compressor. if the latter, be sure to drain the tank as you don't want any moisture in the line blown all over your electronics. personally, i find the air compressor route to be the most robust as it's plenty of pressure (power) to loosen dust bunnies and can reach places a vaccum can't.

Verdenshersker

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
Copenhagen, Denmark
along with vaccuming, or sucking, you could also try blowing with either a compressed can of air or an air compressor. if the latter, be sure to drain the tank as you don't want any moisture in the line blown all over your electronics. personally, i find the air compressor route to be the most robust as it's plenty of pressure (power) to loosen dust bunnies and can reach places a vaccum can't.

+1

I always have a Can or two of the Compressed Air, the one I have is from Target called "Dust Off", so I guess these are for dusting off :)

They were like $5, you can probably find them cheaper online..

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I went to the extreme and bought a 2 or 3 gallon air compressor for various things, but also to clean my computers. They are pretty handy for several things, and definitely better than those pressurized air cans. Then again, if you'd rather spend $5 on a can instead of $40 on the compressor, that's understandable. BTW, the AIR cans aren't filled with air---it's gas.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
I went to the extreme and bought a 2 or 3 gallon air compressor for various things, but also to clean my computers. They are pretty handy for several things, and definitely better than those pressurized air cans. Then again, if you'd rather spend $5 on a can instead of $40 on the compressor, that's understandable. BTW, the AIR cans aren't filled with air---it's gas.
You may want to use a to use a moisture trap.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
You may want to use a to use a moisture trap.

After a while, moisture DOES built up and droplets of water can come out of the nozzle; however, that's only if the compressor is use for overly-extended periods of time. It has a pull-release valve-type thing on the side to get rid of any moisture.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
After a while, moisture DOES built up and droplets of water can come out of the nozzle; however, that's only if the compressor is use for overly-extended periods of time. It has a pull-release valve-type thing on the side to get rid of any moisture.
You should be good then. I've used compressors for airbrushing for years and a little moisture can ruin things, so all mine have 2 or three stages of filtration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.