Cleaning a Glossy Screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MaliciousDesign, Oct 19, 2007.

1. MaliciousDesign macrumors member

Hey Everyone,

I am new to Macs, especially Macbook Pro's, if this post doesn't suggest such already :rolleyes:.

Anyway, does anyone know what I can use to clean a glossy screen on my macbook pro? Water and a cotton t-shirt? Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

-Eddy

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Your cotton T-shirt will likely scratch the heck out of the screen coating. A spotlessly clean lint-free cloth + distilled water is sorta okay if you must, but iKlear wipes are the best thing to use. You can buy 'em through the Apple store and most other Mac dealers. I think Amazon sells 'em too. There's also a pump bottle version, but the wipes are a lot easier to use and reduce the chance of a re-usable cloth picking up nasties and damaging the screen.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

if you go the iKlear route....the "apple polish" doesn't work so well with glossy, but just got the "screen kleener", and that works well. Does not smudge like the apple polish.

4. jbstew32 macrumors regular

i used a very soft cloth with part of it barely dampened with water to wipe my MB screen. No scratches, and my screen looks like it did when I first bought it.

I only did that because of this page

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/care/

5. MaliciousDesign thread starter macrumors member

6. Gerard. macrumors member

I also have this problem, need a good cleaner for my imac's screen.
    I dont know why they bother giving you a cleaning cloth because you can just see the smudge on the screen after youve wiped it..

7. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

iKlear and the micro-fibre cloth supplied with it will do the job very nicely .. :)

8. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

While we're at it, what about the new glossy Al iMacs? I've started using a micro fiber cloth with some distilled water spritzed on it and that seems to work well. When I first got it I did the same thing with Windex but read that using that was a no-no, so never I repeated the process. I saw a thread last night were someone used that iKlear polish and it left some ugly smearing all over the whole display :eek:

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yep, iKlear apple polish will do this....Iklear screen cleaner doesn't...I have both now, and have used both on my mbp glossy screen