Cleaning a mac? what do you do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yaromaax, Feb 3, 2011.

1. yaromaax macrumors newbie

2. simsaladimbamba

Cleaning in what way? The outer shell or the inner workings of the OS?
    Has MRoogle helped you in any way find the dozens of threads discussing cleaning both ways?

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is far too vague. Cleaning it how? Physically? Software-wise? What kind of cleaning? What are you trying to accomplish?

You can't get any answers with the info you've provided.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Micro fiber cloth. turn on your kitchen faucet. move the cloth under the water really quick so you only get it damp. Use that to wipe the outside casing as well as the screen. And I use the dry part of the cloth to dry it off and clean it further. that's what i do. works well for me.

5. yaromaax thread starter macrumors newbie

smart. i use mr clean magic eraser. works great. and i mean cleaning keyboard,screen and exterier for example. sorry for lack of question

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Yaromax, I think it would be wise to never use a magic eraser again. It has soap in it, which you don't want anywhere near your electronics. I'm wondering if this is why you've been having issues with some of the keys. Could very well be. It also has a mild abrasive in it. It will scratch away the shininess. Magic eraser is a definite no-no.

7. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I use car wax to shine my unibody macbook. It works great on the top case and palm areas

8. yaromaax thread starter macrumors newbie

then what should i use!
    ahh im angry

9. yaromaax thread starter macrumors newbie

it makes it nicer in my opinion but yep it ruined my keyboard. are you sure it ruins the shinyness?

10. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Hehe, I read the guy say "turn on the sink" and I was thinking "uh oh" until he mentioned the cloth, LOL

Reminds me of the time (I read about it in some Macintosh power user book, from OS 8ish), when the new Mac LC's came out with the CD drive, and some guy called Apple because he "broke his cup holder" after it popped open and he tried to place his coffee there. The Apple technician told him to box up his entire computer and send it back to Apple. The guy said, "Is it that bad?" To which the response was, "No, your just too stupid to own a computer". It's my understanding that the Apple Tech got fired, but lol!

Anyway, yeah, I'd definitely run the MacBook under cold tap water for a couple of minutes, wash all the viruses out. Kidding.

One thing I would do (I haven't owned a recent MacBook, but I'm to assume it's like previous models and like recent PC laptops), is open the bottom cover (remove the screws, pop 'er off), and remove any retaining screws holding the fan in. Gently lift out the fan, and clean out the exit where the air blows out of the fan (you wouldn't believe how much gunk gets in there), and blow over the heatsink with canned air or just a nice big breath! No matter what type of cleaning your talking about, if you've owned it long enough to start thinking about doing that sort of stuff, I'd do it. I do it on mine once every couple of months. (I use an Acer Windows laptop, and luckily, the cover that covers up the ram also extends back to allow access to the cooling fan for just that. Smart thinking Acer!)

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I've actually used isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, about 90% or more) to clean the entire case and it worked wonderfully. When I first got my computer I couldn't believe how dirty it was (got it from a co-worker) and alcohol did the trick. Wet a paper towel to the point where it's wet, but not dripping, and then wipe down the computer. Immediately follow it with a dry paper towel. For example, I would wipe down the back of the lid, and then while it was still wet, wipe it clean with a dry towel.

A word of caution: my MacBook is one of the older ones with a matte finish, I have no idea what will happen if you use it on a glossy finish. Most likely it will work fine (the glossy finish of the Apple symbol was unscathed) but I have never done it before. Follow my advice at your own risk. If you want to try it, use it on a small inconspicuous spot first.

12. aussiedj macrumors regular

Don't know what type of Magic Eraser you have in the US, but I'm reading the back of the packet at the moment & it say's Chemical & Detergent Free.

We have a block of 8 fine white cubes here, nothing added.

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

That's a fair point, I was wrong. They are made of melamine foam. I still think using them is a bad idea. They are abrasive and will take the shine off your computer. And using it to clean the keyboard area? Gotta use water to activate it. These erasers wear out easily, and they don't just vanish into thin air. that will seep into the cracks.

14. aussiedj macrumors regular

That's true. I haven't used it on mine. Perhaps a fine microfibre cloth like the ones you use for vinyl records?

Also I think I saw in the Apple store a few weeks ago 'Macbook Pro Cleaner'?

15. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I moisten half of a microfiber cloth. Rub it all down with the moist side then dry it with the dry side.

16. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Try using a good car wax, it really makes the surface nice and shiny. I've used rubbing alcohol only on the bottom rubber portion.

17. tug macrumors 6502

i generally use wire wool for the screen,(if you sneeze it takes ages to get the stuff off after its dried, jeeeez!) then for the casing, (this only works with the aluminum version) a really good industrial angle grinder (at this point i generally stuff wet paper into the disc drive to stop bits of dust getting in there, pesky stuff!) for the apple logo i get a really sharp wood chisel & hit it with a 6lb lump hammer, it generally pops off pretty clean, and leave that soaking in a good quality bleach compound over night, that does the trick!
    then i push a carving knife into the disc slot & get as much wet paper out as i can. you cant get it all out but ay! after that i find using an industrial steam cleaning gun perfect for blasting those pesky viruses out, i just put my mac in a vice, stick the gun in the disc slot and pull the trigger! (best results are found when you have got the pressure & temperature at the highest settings) ;)

oh, a quick p.s. can anyone advise me how to speed my beloved mac up, cos its been running rather slow of late. thanks in advance. :D

18. tug macrumors 6502

no mate, its got to be about 1000 times more powerful than that or it wont do the job! what do you think? :D:D:D