Cleaning a MacBook Pro keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Camerondonal, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Camerondonal macrumors newbie

Camerondonal

Hello all - I have a 2018 model MacBook Pro. Despite still being less than a year old, the keyboard has accumulated some stubborn oily fingermarks which I have struggling to get rid of. A dampened lint free cloth, screen cleaning wipes and antistatic foam cleaner haven't shifted them. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. RayLancer macrumors member

It’s ABS plastic keycaps and those “stains” are probably just from acid and oil from your hands causing it to wear down the plastic over time. Can’t do much to reverse that. It’s one of the reasons why I like PBT material for keycaps but it’d be too brittle for laptops.

3. Camerondonal thread starter macrumors newbie

Camerondonal

Thanks for the info...looks like I may need to get some of the keys replaced in that case :( How do I prevent finger oil staining from occurring in the future? I'm worried about this weird issue affecting the resale value of the machine

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

This is probably the biggest thing I have against the MBP's keyboard. I'm a fast typist and I can wear down keyboards with ease (and I do). But those grease stains really bother me. I think they look horrible. No matter how much I wash my hands or keep the keyboard wiped down, my MBP's keyboard (2017) - 1 year and several months old now, shows stains on the keyboard.

I just make sure to wash my hands before I use the keyboard (something I do anyway) and wipe it down after heavy usage with a keyboard cloth with a little splash of water to dampen it a bit.

https://folivora.ai/keyboardcleantool --- I use this to deactivate the keyboard.

5. Camerondonal thread starter macrumors newbie

Camerondonal

Thank you - I agree, it doesn't look good at all. Apple should really take a look at the type of plastic used: something more resistant to finger oil surely isn't impossible.

6. RayLancer macrumors member

PBT is more resilient than ABS plastic that material is too brittle.

7. Hazmat401 macrumors regular

Hazmat401